Foobar Separate Libraries
Feb 19, 2022 at 7:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5
Anyone know how I can maintain two separate libraries in Foobar? Lets say I want to separate my wifes collection from mine? They are already in two separate folders but if I add both folders to foobar then I will have one large combined library. Thanks in advance

Feb 19, 2022 at 9:18 PM Post #2 of 5
There's probably a more elegant way to do this (like using custom facets filters), but some ideas that might work depending on what you want:

The simplest thing since they're in seperate folders anyway would be if you you just set the album list viewer to view by folder structure. With the playlist organizer UI component could group your music into seperate playlists and sub-playlists.

Could also create multiple portable foobar installations- believe these store user config in the portable installation folder so you could each add whatever music you'd like to your own instance of foobar (just did a quick test and this seems pretty functional).

Last edited:
Feb 20, 2022 at 6:09 PM Post #3 of 5
There's probably a more elegant way to do this (like using custom facets filters), but some ideas that might work depending on what you want:

The simplest thing since they're in seperate folders anyway would be if you you just set the album list viewer to view by folder structure. With the playlist organizer UI component could group your music into seperate playlists and sub-playlists.

Could also create multiple portable foobar installations- believe these store user config in the portable installation folder so you could each add whatever music you'd like to your own instance of foobar (just did a quick test and this seems pretty functional).

O I think #2 is exactly what I am trying to do. Thank you very much. I just have to look into how exactly to do that. I have been using Foobar for years but only started messing with it.

Since you seam to know your way around Foobar would happen to be able to point me in the right direction with another issue. I have it running great with wasapi on my PC to my RME adi-2 fs. I copied the appdata foobar folder and the program files folders and installed foobar on my laptop with my ifi black label then replaced those two folders and I get errors and foobar keeps skipping to the next track. Any ideas where I should look?

Feb 20, 2022 at 8:04 PM Post #4 of 5
O I think #2 is exactly what I am trying to do. Thank you very much. I just have to look into how exactly to do that. I have been using Foobar for years but only started messing with it.

Since you seam to know your way around Foobar would happen to be able to point me in the right direction with another issue. I have it running great with wasapi on my PC to my RME adi-2 fs. I copied the appdata foobar folder and the program files folders and installed foobar on my laptop with my ifi black label then replaced those two folders and I get errors and foobar keeps skipping to the next track. Any ideas where I should look?

Am a fairly basic user myself, though I've found w/ foobar if there's something I want to do, usually there's a way someone's figured out. FWIW there's a semi-active help thread here on head-fi https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...ad-got-problems-or-questions-ask-here.624628/

The installer gives an option for portable installs. Just run it twice using a different folder name for each (then I'd just make desktop/start shortcuts for each .exe, renamed accordingly). One potential annoyance doing it this way w/ a shared user account is that if either user is in the habit of opening files directly from file explorer, etc.. , you can only associate file types with one of those .exe's.

Not sure about the second problem, though for a non-portable installation I think the only folder you need to completely replace is appdata (plus copying any themes or components you might have added to right program folders) If you replaced the whole program folder that could cause issues.

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2022 at 9:59 PM Post #5 of 5
Thank you. The portable installs worked for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back