Foobar Ripping FLAC
Feb 23, 2010 at 4:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Shizdan

1000+ Head-Fier
I have the latest Flac version. When I go to rip my Pink Floyd Remastered CD to Flac, the bitrate is only like 800 or below. Whats the deal. I'm using Flac level 8.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 14
FLAC doesn't throw away any information, but it will compress some music better than others. Normal WAV files are at 1411kbps, and FLAC will be able to compress any WAV that doesn't consist of pure white noise to be less than that, with no loss of information.

Here are some average bitrates for some albums I have in FLAC:
Beethoven - Fifth Symphony: 696 kbps
Metallica - Master of Puppets: 925 kbps
The Police - Synchronicity: 741 kbps
David Newman - Serenity Soundtrack: 647 kbps
Dream Theater - Awake: 1012 kbps
Pink Floyd - The Wall: 748 kbps

It's not that Dream Theater's "Awake" is higher quality than the "Serenity" soundtrack, it's just that the music in Serenity is compressed more easily.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:25 PM Post #5 of 14
Not to hijack but do you guys know good particular tracks to use for ABXing? I just recopied all my flacs to my computer that I had stored on DVD's and I'm trying to pick an audio codec and bitrate.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shizdan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So are my "The Wall Remastered" files the best that they can be at level 8?

If, by "best", you mean "smallest", then yes. If you're worried about sound quality, don't be -- FLAC is lossless at all compression levels.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:34 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

I just wasn't sure. Since my files are the smallest size that I'd be loosing quality.

Nope, you're good. The only real price of greater compression is the increased time it takes to compress the files. Regardless of the compression level, the decompressed data is the same. Neat, huh?

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:35 PM Post #11 of 14
Quote:

I just wasn't sure. Since my files are the smallest size that I'd be loosing quality.

Not when it comes to lossless...
biggrin.gif

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:56 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Also I ripped the CD to 24 Bit. Is that an advantage over ripping to 16 bit?

No, not from a CD. CDs are only 16 bits, so you aren't adding any actual dynamic range this way. You should encode CD audio at 16 bits.

Feb 23, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 14
So, what is the problem?
FLAC is lossless and compress the file(s) as tightly as it can. That said, 800kbps looks about right...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back