Foobar or Window Media Player with ARIA amp with USB
May 8, 2006 at 9:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

dsrjohn

Head-Fier
Hi all

Without knowing much about Foobar, are there advantages of using Foobar over Windows Media Player. I listen on my laptop with a Meier Audio ARIA amp connected through a USB connection rather than RCA connectors. While I noticed an improvement with this amp, I guess not as much as expected (i.e. the amp is better and has built in DAC). Is foobar any better for playback? Sorry if this is all too obvious for most people here...

john

May 9, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #2 of 3
I don't have the Aria, but have been studying USB DACs in general. If you are sticking with the default USB Audio Codec, it probably does not matter which playback program you use, as long as it plays the file type of your choice, and offers any equalization settings that you might want.

If you want to try something different:

1) find and install ASIO4all
2) install Foobar with the ASIO plugin
3) in Foobar, choose the ASIO4all as the output choice
4) tinker with the settings to your liking.

This will result in something much different than what you are using now. Might be better to you, might not be.

The one thing I am not sure of : is the Aria USB DAC compatible with ASIO4all?

Hopefully, someone with the ARIA will chime in with some specific settings that work well.

May 9, 2006 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 3
Why do people always suggest this when asio4all is just a directsound wrapper. How can it sound better?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back