Foobar or something similar for OSX?
Jun 17, 2007 at 4:48 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

makasin

100+ Head-Fier
Hey guys I just switched to OS X, I bought a brand new MacBook Pro and im enjoying it thoroughly. Definately super fast. So what kind of music players are out there as alternatives to iTunes? I wanna be able to play FLAC and pretty much all formats and I am very used to foobar, so something like that would be sweet. Also, can foobar be used via parallels and work well?

Jun 17, 2007 at 5:12 AM Post #2 of 7
Jul 29, 2009 at 7:21 PM Post #4 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by krmathis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Some alternative music players:
  1. Play
  2. Cog
  3. Audion
  4. Whamb
  5. Songbird
  6. VLC

You might even be able to run Foobar2000 through Darwine.

Out of those, only VLC supports big perfect output, if I am not mistaken.

Jul 29, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by makasin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys I just switched to OS X, I bought a brand new MacBook Pro and im enjoying it thoroughly.

Good for you! I've done the same, got myself the new MacBook Pro 13 the day after it was released. My first MAC and I'm also loving it!
smile.gif

Quote:

So what kind of music players are out there as alternatives to iTunes? I wanna be able to play FLAC and pretty much all formats and I am very used to foobar, so something like that would be sweet.

As I've also used Foobar on my PC's in the past and my entire music library was encoded in FLAC I also wanted to have a "Foobarish" player for my MAC. The closest thing I found (with support for FLAC) was SongBird. It's a mix in between Foobar and iTunes. But I never took any liking to it
frown.gif
The interface is OK, you'll feel right at home switching from Foobar, but as SongBird is built on the JAVA platform it's kind of slow if you have a large music library.

You can use iTunes with FLAC if you use the Fluke script. I tried it, but as it requires quite a lot of manual input I gave up on it. Didn't have the patience nor the time to import 15000+ songs
rolleyes.gif

After some experimenting with VLC and Play, I finally gave in and used Max to transcode my entire FLAC library to ALAC. Max retains all tags so it was really painless and in true Apple fashion it's a simple click 'n drag affair. So now I'm only using iTunes on my MacBook. Foobar is still in use on my Windows desktop (with FLAC). No regrets and I couldn't be happier
smile_phones.gif

Quote:

Also, can foobar be used via parallels and work well?

I tried it, it was slow as a old horse - nothing I would recommend.
deadhorse.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

If you mean bit perfect, then you need to get your facts straight! iTunes as well as all the other players in the mention support bit perfect playback
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2009 at 2:37 PM Post #7 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by tosehee /img/forum/go_quote.gif

You probably mean 'bit perfect', and in that case I am quite sure you are mistaken.
As long as EQ, replaygain, and similar are turned OFF, and the volume are set at 100% I do not see why all of them should not be bit-perfect. Streaming directly to Core Audio...

No much have happened on the player side since 2007 though, so my list above still stands.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back