Foobar Messing Up
May 29, 2012 at 1:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

fallsroad

100+ Head-Fier
About three weeks ago I replaced my Headroom Micro DAC and McCormack MID headphone/pre with a Benchmark DAC-1HDR. All has been bliss.

I have a large folder of assorted tracks that I load into Foobar and play on shuffle. There are 16 and 24 bit tracks mixed together in the directory. They have always played flawlessly. Last night I noticed that when Foobar switches from one bit depth to the other the song fails to play. I do not get an error message, and nudging the progress bar a hair gets the track going. This happens when switching from 16 to 24 or the reverse. It only occurs when the two tracks are of different bit depths.

No changes to hardware were made recently. Any thoughts why this might be happening?

Foobar 1.1.12a / WASAPI
Optical out
Benchmark DAC-1HDR

Update: I had jumped from v1.1.10 to v1.1.12a the other day. So I went to v1.1.11 and the same problem occurred. I regressed back to v1.1.10 and the problem disappears.

May 29, 2012 at 4:37 PM Post #3 of 7
Alternately, if you are willing to try something new, see if the player MusicBee works for you. (I just switched from Foobar to MusicBee over the weekend due to problems with Foobar's WASAPI plugin communicating with my new DAC.)

May 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM Post #5 of 7
Problem did not occur with DS output.

I reinstalled v1.1.12a of Foobar, verified the problem I described above was still happening, then installed the first of the two beta WASAPI plug ins you linked to. The first one solved the problem. So did the second. I'll need to use one or both for a while longer to see if they cause any other problems or not.

Seems WASAPI v2.1 for Foobar and the latest version of the player conflict in some way under my usage conditions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back