Foobar Left/Right Balance Control?
Sep 7, 2006 at 11:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Zoide

Headphoneus Supremus
Is there a way to control left/right channel balance in foobar 0.9.x? I haven't found an equivalent to the foo_dsp_wider plugin that allowed me to do that in foobar 0.8.x.

Sep 8, 2006 at 7:58 AM Post #2 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoide
Is there a way to control left/right channel balance in foobar 0.9.x? I haven't found an equivalent to the foo_dsp_wider plugin that allowed me to do that in foobar 0.8.x.

Here is one possible way... some VST/DX plugin w/ balance slider .. like

foobeqbalfh9.jpg

Kjaerhus Classic EQ - http://www.kjaerhusaudio.com/classic-eq.php
There are also some possible plugins @ Le Barrail's site you can use (see those one channel - Toute seule - plugins).

All other needed components are listed in my sig.

jiitee

Sep 8, 2006 at 9:41 AM Post #3 of 19
I was just going to post looking for something like this. I have some high freq hearing loss in one ear from a gunshot accident.

jiiteepee - is there something similar to classic EQ but with more bands?

Sep 8, 2006 at 10:35 AM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick S
I was just going to post looking for something like this. I have some high freq hearing loss in one ear from a gunshot accident.

jiiteepee - is there something similar to classic EQ but with more bands?

I have not seen (if you mean EQ for both channels separately and balance adjust) least as a freeware. KVR is a good source for available software EQ's.

You can also use another method; use energyXTE to split the signal coming from Foobar (or Winamp/other VST capable player) and then add EQ for both, L and R channels before output. You can then adjust levels and EQ independently for both channels. Best would be to use mono EQs then but you can also split the EQ channel into mono L&R so ....

As for an example:

exteeqce8.jpg

Karma FX EQ used in example - http://www.karmafx.dk/

W/ Karma FX EQ you can select EQ area from from Lo, Mid, Hi and Full (if you have hearing problem w/ Hi frequencies, just select the Hi area and you can adjust gain between 5kHz and 20 kHz (w/ 31 bands).

There is also this Slim Slow Slider's 61 band graphical EQ which can be used w/ this method (search this forum for the DL link) and actually many other good ones, like Electri-Q (posihfopit edition). w/ Electri-Q you can select frequency area for bands (max 64 bands) freely ...

EnergyXTE is commercial product but Karma and other mentioned here are freeware.

jiitee

Sep 8, 2006 at 11:04 AM Post #5 of 19
Thanks. That second option looks perfect for what i'm after. I don't really know how to set it all up, currently following yor sig
smily_headphones1.gif

The site seems to be down for getting "bridge plugin for winamp DSP for Foobar 0.8.x or for Foobar 0.9.x" >_<

Sep 8, 2006 at 12:49 PM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nick S
Thanks. That second option looks perfect for what i'm after. I don't really know how to set it all up, currently following yor sig
smily_headphones1.gif

The site seems to be down for getting "bridge plugin for winamp DSP for Foobar 0.8.x or for Foobar 0.9.x" >_<

They seem to have some troubles w/ their site.

How to set up:

- Install the VST Host DSP for Winamp (either into Winamp folder or under Foobar folder --> you specify the installation path in Foobar settings)
- copy the Winamp Bridge plug-in into Foobar components folder
- install EQ VST (gets normally installed under Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\ if no other folder specified while installing
- install energyXTE (the effects) version (extract and copy the created folder to above mentioned VST folder)

- run Foobar and set everything up under DSP Manager
--> load winamp bridge into active DSP
--> configure the bridge plugin
----> select VST Host for Winamp and configure it --> load energyXTE into it
------> load EQ into energyXTE (right-click the main area->select the plugin under VST),
------> right-click every item --> inputs/outputs --> unlink = make stereo to two mono channels
--------> select the EQ and right-ckick --> duplicate
--------> see on my prev picture for 'cabling'

You can
- remove drawn 'cables' by right-mouse-clicking the 'connector'.
- open the plug-in (EQ) by double-clicking the item

jiitee

Oct 2, 2006 at 10:56 PM Post #9 of 19
Jul 26, 2009 at 6:41 AM Post #10 of 19
I found more clear method with Matrix Mixer. This is Foobar plugin, no VST required, no EQ involved. Its configuration dialog looks complex, but it is quite simple indeed - you change FL and FR numbers for sterero balance. Unfortunately, no help available.

Aug 8, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #11 of 19
Is this the best way to be able to pump more juice in the L/R channel for people with hearing problems?
I'm having some problems with my right hearing. I have to pass an audiogram to see what's exactly wrong with my hearing. I hope it isn't that bad and reversible.

I've downloaded this Matrix Mixer DSP plugin for Foobar2000 but how am I suppose to balance the sound more to the right?

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:11 AM Post #12 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've downloaded this Matrix Mixer DSP plugin for Foobar2000 but how am I suppose to balance the sound more to the right?

Set number in FL cell less than in FR cell, 0.832 and 1 for example. Change FL until you balance the channels

Aug 8, 2009 at 1:59 PM Post #13 of 19
Where can i have access to the FL and FR cell in Foobar. I just don't see them.
Can you guide me step by step please?

Aug 8, 2009 at 4:54 PM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by punk_guy182 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Where can i have access to the FL and FR cell in Foobar.

In Matrix Mixer configuration dialog. See Foobar manual on how to setup and configure plugins.

Aug 9, 2009 at 3:50 AM Post #15 of 19
I got it.
Thanks! This is a good easy way to balance the sound in one ear more than the other.
However, do you where I could download a good audio file that gives mono sound and not stereo sound. I'm having a hard time figuring out if the instruments of some of the songs I,m listening were meant to be ard more on the left, center or right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back