Foobar, JPlay, or JRiver?
Jul 25, 2013 at 1:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

toonsnstuff

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone! I'd like to say this is my first post here on Head-Fi, but i have been coming here for about a year now. The first time I came here I didn't own any headphones except for some cheapo's for running, now I have too many they don't fit on my small desk...but I love it!

I used iTunes, then winamp, and now Foobar. I really like how light weight Foobar is, winamp is good too, but the easy integration of add-ons for Foobar is why I use it now. 

I know JPlay is supposed to be a great media player, and JPlay can be used with Foobar, but they do cost money, so is the price worth it? I have a mix of MP3s and FLAC files as well as Google Play tunes I get from All access that I can't download. My main DAC is a Yulong D100 and I also use a E09K+E07K combo, so I like using WASAPI output (I use a PC). 

Any suggestions or alternatives would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jul 27, 2013 at 12:16 AM Post #4 of 22
I just tried JPLAY today.  I suggest you try the JPLAY trial and see if you like it.

I used JPLAYmini and also with FooBar2000.  It does make a difference in the sound and you may like it.

I am undecided but I expect I will decide I like it.  I'm just not sure I will pay 99 euros for it.

To use JPLAY I have to log in using an administrator account on Windows 7 and I'd rather not do that.  If I can get it to work on a non-administrator user account that could make the difference.

Good luck!

Jul 27, 2013 at 2:57 AM Post #5 of 22
So I decided to search for jplay and the hell? That thing costs 99 eur? Really? I am gonna try the trial but the first thought coming to my mind is buying a brand new IEMs and grab foobar2k if I had 99eur, tbh

Jul 29, 2013 at 8:36 AM Post #6 of 22
JPLAY works well for me but I believe it rolls off the high end.  I am now trying Fidelizer. Its free and at this point I believe its a keeper.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:21 PM Post #7 of 22
Quote:
JPLAY works well for me but I believe it rolls off the high end.  I am now trying Fidelizer. Its free and at this point I believe its a keeper.

The previous statement was made based on my experience using a Windows 7 based netbook.  I recently purchased a Windows 8 "netbook" with an HDD and JPLAY sounds much better on this machine with no perception of the highs being rolled off.  In fact, I believe using "Hibernate" mode in JPLAY clearly provides my best sound....better than I am able to get with Fidelizer.

Regardless,  I am not sure the improvement justifies spending 99 euros.  That's something I'll have to think about.

I have now put an SSD in the Windows 8 machine and will check to see if I notice any difference in sound.

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:31 PM Post #8 of 22
Quote:
I just tried JPLAY today.  I suggest you try the JPLAY trial and see if you like it.

I used JPLAYmini and also with FooBar2000.  It does make a difference in the sound and you may like it.

I am undecided but I expect I will decide I like it.  I'm just not sure I will pay 99 euros for it.

To use JPLAY I have to log in using an administrator account on Windows 7 and I'd rather not do that.  If I can get it to work on a non-administrator user account that could make the difference.

Good luck!

THERE IS NO DIFFERANCE IN THE SOUND AMOUNG AUDIO PLAYERS, let's get that out of the way. Optimally you should be using an audio player with Bit Perfect sound out to your DAC, which can b on your sound card or an external dac, when you using a DAC and you should be there is NO differance between the sound of the players, as Bit perfect is BIT perfect, only the DAC changes the sound.

That being said if you are playing music ouf of your headphone jack it's going to suck no matter what your using for a player :D that being said go with FooBar since it's free. I have JRiver an it's pretty'r than FooBar but FooBar gives you more control.

That being said, if you can't afford a Dac or a nice sound card don't bother buying a Media Player. 

And I am for FooBar 2000, and yes I also own JRiver 

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:25 PM Post #9 of 22
Quote:
THERE IS NO DIFFERANCE IN THE SOUND AMOUNG AUDIO PLAYERS, let's get that out of the way. Optimally you should be using an audio player with Bit Perfect sound out to your DAC, which can b on your sound card or an external dac, when you using a DAC and you should be there is NO differance between the sound of the players, as Bit perfect is BIT perfect, only the DAC changes the sound.

That being said if you are playing music ouf of your headphone jack it's going to suck no matter what your using for a player :D that being said go with FooBar since it's free. I have JRiver an it's pretty'r than FooBar but FooBar gives you more control.

That being said, if you can't afford a Dac or a nice sound card don't bother buying a Media Player. 

And I am for FooBar 2000, and yes I also own JRiver 

YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. Lets just get that out of the way.

Aug 24, 2013 at 6:51 PM Post #10 of 22
Quote:
YOU ARE ENTITLED TO YOUR OPINION JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE. Lets just get that out of the way.

OH YEA BABY,

I am. That being said, at the end of the day jRiver is the sexiest music player I have <3 

Aug 27, 2013 at 3:01 PM Post #11 of 22
As long as they provide something new to try and play with than I think trying JPLay or JRiver sound like worth trying. But paying money doesn't sound like the most exciting thing....

Sep 23, 2013 at 2:07 AM Post #12 of 22
  OH YEA BABY,

I am. That being said, at the end of the day jRiver is the sexiest music player I have <3 

Indeed it is significantly rich in features but i still have a love for foobar. 

I'm a bit over all these players and just want it to play...that said. There have been a few, let's say, discussions regarding the validity of JPLAY and whether or not it is a scam. Seems JPLAY has been shunned by the likes of JRIVER and Foobar...

BTW is a month still within the bounds of head-fi thread recency?

Sep 24, 2013 at 12:24 PM Post #13 of 22
With high enough gear and material i can notice clear differences in sound between players. 
Out of Foobar, JRiver, Fidelia(OSX), Decibel(OSX) to my ears Foobar sounds the grainiest and most digital sounding. Have not tried JPlay.
All listening done in bit perfect and other effects turned off (dithering, crossfade..etc). 

Oct 18, 2013 at 2:02 PM Post #14 of 22
I now pretty much agree with what Mshenay posted above.

After much more listening and experimentation I now believe that I can't tell the difference between a couple of free "bitperfect" Foobar options and JPLAY.

To get "bitperfect" audio, I installed the ASIO4ALL driver and modified the Foobar preferences to use it.  It is superb.

I had read that ASIO4ALL is actually kernel streaming so installed the (experimental)  Foobar kernel streaming component and selected kernel streaming in preferences.

I only listened to it for a couple of minutes but so far it sounds the same as ASIO4ALL.

This is with a Windows 8.1 netbook with a SSD.

Nov 27, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #15 of 22
  I now pretty much agree with what Mshenay posted above.

After much more listening and experimentation I now believe that I can't tell the difference between a couple of free "bitperfect" Foobar options and JPLAY.

To get "bitperfect" audio, I installed the ASIO4ALL driver and modified the Foobar preferences to use it.  It is superb.

I had read that ASIO4ALL is actually kernel streaming so installed the (experimental)  Foobar kernel streaming component and selected kernel streaming in preferences.

I only listened to it for a couple of minutes but so far it sounds the same as ASIO4ALL.

This is with a Windows 8.1 netbook with a SSD.

Actually windows 8.1 sound weird to me. I immediatley downgrade to win7 pro.

couple of weeks ago I upgraded my STX card with Audio-GD JZ-1 TCXO clock, and the difference was huge everything from dynamics to bass definitions became so fine..

and I found JPLAY, started to try and experiment listening with different songs, 

I decided JPLAY sounds more fluidic compared to other OUTPUT options like KS, WASAPI and ASIO

ASIO is is like over driving the sound, so music becomes fatiguing (this is maybe special case for STX card because after %76 volume sound became distorted in STX, it is well known fact.)

WASAPI and KS is similar.

JPLAY has more precise timing and dynamics, sound fluidity and layers between sounds ( singer voice and music and vocals) becomes seperated and not distorting each other. 

but 99EURO is so much money for this difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back