Foobar: hearing an echO
Sep 26, 2008 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

jojoarmani

Head-Fier
I just noticed for the 1st time an echo when i hit the next button in foobar or move the song along using the cursor. It sounds almost an equalizer is switched onto the Auditorium or Cathedral-sound setting, all except that inside foobar this setting is off.

It isn't the headphones either, because i can hear the echo sound from the on-board speaker from my laptop. Files are FLACs for most part. Last, as the songs play there is no echo sound at all.

I am pretty sure i have never heard or noticed an echo. Did something just happen? (Has anyone noticed this because i am sure this is new for me.) Any foobar expert advice would be appreciated!

Sep 26, 2008 at 12:35 PM Post #2 of 10
Have you set the volume to fade when skipping or pausing? Preferences > Advanced > Playback > Fading

If so, is the duration of the echo related to these settings?

Or, does the duration relate to the setting of Buffer Length under Preferences > Playback > Output ?

Sep 26, 2008 at 10:12 PM Post #3 of 10
bad monkey

Went and took the three fading setting from 100 microseconds to 10. There is no longer an echo!

My buffer length is at (the recommended) 1 sec (1000 microseconds). My sound card is nothing to write home about, but should i change this setting also? The card is integrated into the motherboard.

Thanks alot!

Sep 27, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #4 of 10
That setting should only be changed if you are getting stuttering problems.

Sep 27, 2008 at 3:56 AM Post #5 of 10
stuttering problems

no, it wasn't stuttering at all, but really an echo sound, like with using winamp on an auditorium setting. When i brought the settings down for fade, the echoing stopped.

My new question has been now asking myself how did they change, or how did the echo appear without this setting ever having been changed...?

Never had a stuttering with my music on the computer. Why should this setting only be changed for stuttering and not echo, since my problem seems fixed?

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:37 AM Post #6 of 10
I can only theorize but Foobar is lowering the volume when it does the fade. Do you get the same echo if you manually lower the volume?

As to the buffer length, it should in theory be kept as low as possible without there being problems. It affects how long changed effects take to kick in (add an output filter, and it will take the length of the buffer before you hear its effect). But I find I need to keep it quite high using WASAPI otherwise it plays up.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 10
the echoing is back again. The settings in Preferences > Advanced > Playback > Fading have returned to 100. I didn't change my version of foobar2k, so that is weird.

Bad monkey, the echo was still there when the volume was turned low. And when i skip songs, it does the echo, but also, the volume slider is not moving. is my foobar missing a component; i have the latest version?

i checked hydrogen audio, and it wasn't much help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back