Foobar FLAC ASIO Problem Help Needed
Dec 27, 2005 at 7:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

gongos

100+ Head-Fier
I just started using ASIO with Foobar. When I play my FLAC files the sound is all garbled and slowed down. WHen I play WAV files it sounds perfect.

When I play the FLAC files w/o using ASIO the sound perfect.

Any ideas?

Dec 27, 2005 at 1:41 PM Post #2 of 22
so are you "kernal streaming" for the "perfect sound" - why bother with ASIO then?

Dec 29, 2005 at 9:28 AM Post #5 of 22
That sounds very strange to me. The only thing I can think of is that, somehow, your WAV and FLAC files are at different sample rates, so the FLACs don't sound right at whatever frequency your sound card / DAC is expecting for its ASIO input.

Another possibility is that the FLAC files are corrupt, somehow...maybe not encoded with the latest version of FLAC (although it is my understanding that all FLAC files are compatible with all FLAC decoders, even if they were encoded with a newer version of the library than the decoder uses).

Dec 30, 2005 at 12:21 AM Post #7 of 22
Make sure that you have the proper device selected in your ASIO settings in Foobar, also make sure your thread priority is high enough.

How many bits are you using for output? Are you using dithering?

Dec 30, 2005 at 2:40 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Where are the number of bits being used and the dithering option located in foobar? The correct device is selected, and I'll up the priority.

Under the main playback tab.

Make sure your drivers are up to date.

Dec 30, 2005 at 2:59 AM Post #11 of 22
I disabled resampling at 24/96 and the FLAC files played fine. Must be some problem with FLAC files and resampling. What do you think offers more SQ; resampling or enabling ASIO?

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:01 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by Revliskciuq
Make sure that you have the proper device selected in your ASIO settings in Foobar, also make sure your thread priority is high enough.

How many bits are you using for output? Are you using dithering?

No Dithering, 24 bits.

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:07 AM Post #13 of 22
So you only experience problems with 24-bits w/ASIO. 16-bit w/ASIO works fine? What kind of soundcard/DAC are you using?

Dec 30, 2005 at 3:08 AM Post #14 of 22
Try selecting the extended bit depth options next to the drop down box. Set to 24bits padded to 32 option. This is the setting I have to use with my Emu 1212M. Not sure what card you're using but it's worth a try.

And to answer your question, I personally don't hear a difference between resampled and non-resampled foobar output. But then I don't hear a difference between Kernal Streaming and ASIO output either. At some point you've just got to stop worrying about it, once you get your FLACS to play right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back