Foobar EQ?
Sep 24, 2005 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

EricP

100+ Head-Fier
Anyone have a decent Foobar EQ setting/guide? I would have thought that "zero all" would have been good, but it sounds awful! I keep fiddling around with it but it just doesn't sound good at all.

Sep 24, 2005 at 8:39 AM Post #3 of 16
Just remember that adjusting the EQ upwards is just asking for clipping. Feel free to do it anyway, but just remember to hit the "Auto level" button when you're done to prevent some potential sonic nastiness.

Sep 24, 2005 at 12:01 PM Post #5 of 16
I have a few EQ settings that I download off the net a few months ago. I usually just use the Classic V setting, here what it looks like on mine:

5 2 0 -2 -5 -6 -8 -8 -7 -7 -4 -3 -2 -1 1 3 5 5 4

Sep 25, 2005 at 3:43 AM Post #7 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by EricP
Anyone have a decent Foobar EQ setting/guide? I would have thought that "zero all" would have been good, but it sounds awful! I keep fiddling around with it but it just doesn't sound good at all.

It looks like you have a CDP and DAC "coming," but the only source available now is iPod?

Either way, in MY setup, music sounds horribly wrong if I adjust Foobar EQ by more than 1-2 dB from flat in one or two bands.

Sep 25, 2005 at 12:02 PM Post #9 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by ]|[ GorE
Wow! You must be having an extremely lo-fi headphone or bad equipment or even ears.

uhh... did you even see his signature??

Sep 25, 2005 at 2:15 PM Post #10 of 16
Course i saw his signature.
Fidelity can be defined as the ability of a transducer or an amplifier to produce the entire spectrum of frequencies at equal amplitudes.

As such,many amplifiers,cables and majorly : headphones used here except for example the high ends senns are actually low-fi going by strict definition.
I for one do own a LOW-Fi setup BUT atleast its a cheap low-fi setup and i like to tweak it so that it sounds as good as it can :

ALSO,I bought my koss strictly on the basis of response graphs.
I use the Shibatch Parametric EQ with the following settings :
3900-4400 : + 2db.
6900-7400 : + 2 db
30 - 45 Hz : + 2 db

And I get a FLAT response from my cans after i play Sine sweep through them.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 25, 2005 at 6:45 PM Post #12 of 16
First of all I must say that i and my post are MEANT to be humble.One should be humble.So sorry if my humility doesnt show.....

Erukiam,i use Shibatch Equalizer VIA the Winamp DSP plugin for Foobar.
You can enter the lower and higher frequencies and the gain required on the right hand side of Shibatchs Window.And dont forget to save the settings.

Sep 26, 2005 at 1:27 AM Post #13 of 16
My vote is to ZERO your EQ. For example, Bleed is using a 'V' EQ. Unless there's a problem with your setup - and a Gilmore Lite to SR325's shouldn't have a problem - then you are screwing up the sound big time. +5dB on the bottom and top and -8dB on the mids??? That's a 13dB difference, so essentially you've EQ'ed your bass and treble to be about four times louder than your mids!

I say zero the EQ, deal with it for a minute until you get used to it, listen to some well recorded music, then come back again if you're still having problems. Any half-decent setup on these boards should only need small EQ shifts of a few dB up or down in select places IF NEEDED, and most times it's not needed.

To the thread starter - what kind of EQ are you using by the way? If you're worried about not being flatlined because you're +1 or -2 in a few places then that's just personal preference, don't worry about it. But if you're doing crazy things with the EQ I say flatten it for a week or two and then try going back to heavily EQ'ed settings. You should immediately notice how fake heavy EQ sounds. If you've ever played an instrument and are familiar with the sound that's a good way to reference what 'natural' sound is, and then EQ appropriately (which is usually very little).

--Illah

Sep 26, 2005 at 8:31 PM Post #14 of 16
Easiest way to EQ properly is to do the opposite.

What I mean is that if you want to boost the bass, you want to keep it at zero, and then move everything else to negative/down.

Otherwise you are amplifying the bass, and introducing distortion, probably.

Easiest way to do this is move the silders up in the frequencies you like. Then hit "Auto Level".

This method will attenuate your signal, so you will most definitely need a headphone amp with a good deal of overhead.

-Ed

Sep 27, 2005 at 6:09 AM Post #15 of 16
I've been playing with EQ but everything seems all muddy and bassy if everything is zeroed or if the EQ plugin is disabled altogether. I've gotten the best results with (l to r) -4, -4, -3, -2, -1, and then zeroed across the bar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back