Foobar DSP options
Jan 10, 2007 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

Little J040

1000+ Head-Fier
Hey all,

Just recently converted to foobar2k with KS, and was wondering if any of the available dsp's might be beneficial

Specifically the -6db hard limiter and or resampling dsps. What do you people use, or do you leave it un altered?

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:48 AM Post #2 of 26
Anyone have any comments?
blink.gif

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:57 AM Post #3 of 26
its not one of the dsp's that comes with foobar, but I recommend 4front headphones. If you google it, you'll get the website, just extract the .dll file into the components section of foobar's program file, and you have virtual crossover/"room". I love that thing.

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:58 AM Post #4 of 26
Is that similar to Xin type crossfeed?

Jan 10, 2007 at 3:22 PM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Zarathustra19 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
its not one of the dsp's that comes with foobar, but I recommend 4front headphones. If you google it, you'll get the website, just extract the .dll file into the components section of foobar's program file, and you have virtual crossover/"room". I love that thing.

That's why there's chocolate and vanilla. I just tried it last night and hated it. I found it to be like adding the reverb on a karaoke machine.

Little J040, it is definitely not a standard crossfeed. For that there is nothing as sophisticated as the controls on the Rockbox crossfeed but there's a good preprogrammed component: foo_dsp_crossfeed.dll. (Get it here. I'm looking forward to the promised Aurator replacement.) It does the trick. Another option is foo_dsp_bs2b.dll. I haven't played with that much but it seems to be a little heavy footed on the gas.

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 26
Nice, ill check out the xfeed one you sent me, I'm just trying to see the "full beast" that foobar has to offer, i must admit i like it better than Itunes... although it may just be pyhscoacoustic changes.

Jan 11, 2007 at 1:58 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice, ill check out the xfeed one you sent me, I'm just trying to see the "full beast" that foobar has to offer, i must admit i like it better than Itunes... although it may just be pyhscoacoustic changes.

I Know what you mean. I'm finished with iTunes. I have just been having seminal moments in relation to Foobar. Two months and a few configurations later I was finally given a truly lovely one (i.e. playlist view, the part that I can't program very well) and now the rest of it is suddenly all making sense: layout, tabbed panel options, and available plugins. It just takes a lot of playing around.Here is a great page from Hydrogen Audio that summarises all the third party plugins that are available for Foobart2000 v.9. Things to consider in due course: lyric panel, lyric db, queue manager, and track info (complicated to program that one but worth it - the others don't involve programing). On my end, I want to tackle this Home stereo display SDK component. Foobar is great if you like tinkering. There's always something more.

Jan 11, 2007 at 2:25 AM Post #8 of 26
Thats definately the kind of person I am. Thanks again for this new link. Im currently using the advanced limiter, not quite sure what it does, but i think its helping my Sh**** FLAC cd's from clipping too much. I unfortunately bought a cd the other day that was mastered like a dog.

Cheers!

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:38 AM Post #9 of 26
I found the crossfade feature for FB2k to be nice as well, man i keep finding more DSP's to (alter my pure music) lol..

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:49 AM Post #10 of 26
LOL
This will probably seems blasphemous to most of the people here, but I have the signal going through 6 different DSPs, but I did spend quite a while fine tuning this, and I don't hear any negative distortion, so to me, its like adding a whole new part to my system, and for FREE too.
oh and I has a question(and a shovel, but just disregard that if you have no idea what I'm talking about), is it true that you can apply a DSP to a .WAV file, then if you put it into 'convolve' it'd recreate the effect?

Jan 11, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by sonicm /img/forum/go_quote.gif
LOL
This will probably seems blasphemous to most of the people here, but I have the signal going through 6 different DSPs, but I did spend quite a while fine tuning this, and I don't hear any negative distortion, so to me, its like adding a whole new part to my system, and for FREE too.
oh and I has a question(and a shovel, but just disregard that if you have no idea what I'm talking about), is it true that you can apply a DSP to a .WAV file, then if you put it into 'convolve' it'd recreate the effect?

Yes I like the free part. But I'm trying to stay minimalist. Just a couple dB of gain below 110 Hz and a nice crossfeed makes me a happy guy.
eggosmile.gif

Little J040, I'll check FB2k again. I only got it a few days ago. But again I'm afraid that it's a bit radical. We'll see...

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:02 AM Post #12 of 26
Haha whats radical cooper?

Oh has anyone used the tube_dsp? It's supposed to make it sound more like tube amplification or something?

Jan 12, 2007 at 1:30 AM Post #13 of 26
I've tried DSP's before..but I find everything sounds best with all of them disabled

Jan 12, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #14 of 26
I can see the point in that, as i was an avid (Leave it alone for purity) kind of person. Until it all started when I got a free 10 band eq from a friend at work... It's been all customizing my rig since then
icon10.gif

Jan 12, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Little J040 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Haha whats radical cooper?

Oh has anyone used the tube_dsp? It's supposed to make it sound more like tube amplification or something?

Have you found a link for the tube DSP? The one from HydrogenAudio was dead. I doubt that I would like it anyway. That'kind of sound tinkering is the very definition of radical.
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back