foobar crossfeed?
Feb 22, 2006 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

m_memmory

1000+ Head-Fier
I've been copying all my CD's onto my PC in FLAC to be played back via my Aria and it's sounding wonderful - especially likeing the crossfeed and having the sound not so seperated out but merging just a bit.

However.... I've now come to the Beatles earlier stuff when the music is coming out of the left channel and the singing is out of the right - I can't stand it!! I need more crossfeed to compensate.

But I can't work out how to get it through foobar. I've got the special install and I can see in the DSP manager that crossfeed is mentioned so I move it over and nothing - the sound is just the same as always. Tried restarting the track - nothing. Tried restarting foobar - nothing. Tried using a different output to the Aria (normally using directsound out so I tried wave out instead) - nothing.

No matter what I try I can't seem to get any crossfeed working to solve the problem. Can anyone help? I want to be able to listen to the beatles without giving myself a pounding headache!

Feb 23, 2006 at 7:41 AM Post #2 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
I've been copying all my CD's onto my PC in FLAC to be played back via my Aria and it's sounding wonderful - especially likeing the crossfeed and having the sound not so seperated out but merging just a bit.

However.... I've now come to the Beatles earlier stuff when the music is coming out of the left channel and the singing is out of the right - I can't stand it!! I need more crossfeed to compensate.

But I can't work out how to get it through foobar. I've got the special install and I can see in the DSP manager that crossfeed is mentioned so I move it over and nothing - the sound is just the same as always. Tried restarting the track - nothing. Tried restarting foobar - nothing. Tried using a different output to the Aria (normally using directsound out so I tried wave out instead) - nothing.

No matter what I try I can't seem to get any crossfeed working to solve the problem. Can anyone help? I want to be able to listen to the beatles without giving myself a pounding headache!

If you didn't get it working the way you'd like, then I would suggest you to try some VST effects (imaging, panning, spatial, excitier, enchancer, etc.) for that type of 'manipulation' (like the "Stereo Tools VST" Plug-in (freeware) is a simple to use utility plug-in that allows you to pan or position both the left and right channels independently of one another).

Behind beleow threads, you'll find some links to start from:

http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164276
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=164572
http://www4.head-fi.org/forums/showp...06&postcount=4

jiitee

Feb 23, 2006 at 11:30 AM Post #3 of 21
Thanks for the hints - I'll try them out.

It's not that I can't get the crossfeed in foobar to work as I want - it's just not working at all. I guess I was asking whether there's something that I'm meant to do more to get it working or whether it just doesn't work (or maybe I need to try a reinstall to see if it'll work) Basically whether anyone else has had problems using it.

Feb 23, 2006 at 3:34 PM Post #4 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by m_memmory
Thanks for the hints - I'll try them out.

It's not that I can't get the crossfeed in foobar to work as I want - it's just not working at all. I guess I was asking whether there's something that I'm meant to do more to get it working or whether it just doesn't work (or maybe I need to try a reinstall to see if it'll work) Basically whether anyone else has had problems using it.

Just to rule out that you're bypassing all dsp somehow, try applying some drastic eq. If the sound goes wacko you can rule that out as the problem.

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 21
Have you tried headplug for winamp? Out of all crossfeed plugins I like this one best and in my opinion it helps alot with old stereo recordings like the Beatles ones you mentioned. The only problem is that it is a winamp plugin and you have to use the foobar winamp dsp plugin, which means you have to select it in the foobar dsp settings each time you start foobar.

Here's a link to the headplug plugin:
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=142337

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:37 PM Post #6 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Epicurean
Have you tried headplug for winamp? Out of all crossfeed plugins I like this one best and in my opinion it helps alot with old stereo recordings like the Beatles ones you mentioned. The only problem is that it is a winamp plugin and you have to use the foobar winamp dsp plugin, which means you have to select it in the foobar dsp settings each time you start foobar.

Here's a link to the headplug plugin:
http://www.winamp.com/plugins/details.php?id=142337

Interesting! I didn't know that was available for Foobar. Can you not save the settings to have it activated as soon as Foobar is opened, like with eq, etc.?

Feb 23, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #7 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Max Minimum
Interesting! I didn't know that was available for Foobar. Can you not save the settings to have it activated as soon as Foobar is opened, like with eq, etc.?

Well, yes the winamp dsp plugin stays in the foobar dsp settings, but the winamp plugins IN the winamp dsp plugin are reset each time foobar starts. Umm, I don't know if that made things any clearer but you'll see when you try it yourself.

Feb 23, 2006 at 11:31 PM Post #8 of 21
Oh, I get it now. Thanks.
biggrin.gif

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:13 AM Post #9 of 21
Hey, I found a way of making the winamp plugin remember its settings. Just copy the winamp plugins in a folder other than the real winamp plugins folder and set the foobar winamp plugin to search for plugins there. It works for me atleast.

Mar 4, 2006 at 9:58 AM Post #10 of 21
m_memmory, I'm assuming you were writing about the "Simple Surround" DSP effect included with Foobar? After double-clicking on it, it moves to the left under the Active DSP window and should be enabled almost immediately.

If you can, try reinstalling foobar.

Jan 21, 2009 at 8:06 AM Post #12 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tachikoma /img/forum/go_quote.gif
(I have a few John Coltrane recordings with similar flaws.)

lol i know what you mean. The separation on Giant Steps is an earsore without a strong crossfeed for backup

Users who are viewing this thread

Back