Foobar Convolver Presets?
Jan 13, 2004 at 10:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

kelesh

100+ Head-Fier
Using:

1. Audigy 2 in Winxp (kernel streaming)
2. Klipsch Promedia 2.1's or Senn HD580's
3. Mid-high Meta42

Listening to Beck, Weezer, Radiohead, Cake, etc....

What kind of convolver plugin should I be using?

Jan 13, 2004 at 5:51 PM Post #2 of 13
This is the only convolver that I've seen: http://www.foobar2000.org/components.html#foo_convolve . Interesting, he has impulses to download, that would be fun to play with. I would much rather to be able to input a specific impulse response equation and have that convolved but I'm sure that would just increase the complexity of the code (then again I'm sure he has code for FFT so it really shouldn't be too much trouble... eh).

Out of curiosity, why do you want to do convolution?

Jan 13, 2004 at 8:16 PM Post #3 of 13
well i've read that the convolver is better than the equalizer, and in my experience(<--newbie!!), my mp3s seem to sound better with an equalizer setting(typically the rock equalizer in iTunes or winamp).

if convolving doesn't add much and also takes away from some songs, then I won't do it.

the idea, i think, is that my hardware is not perfect, so the equalizer can/should cover up some of the inadequacies.

are most audiophiles against equalizers?

Jan 14, 2004 at 1:05 AM Post #4 of 13
Well convolution is a very powerful tool because you could simulate passing the audio through pretty much any type of linear non-causal circuit. The only limitation that you get with the convolver for the dsp is that you must present a time-domain impulse response. This severly limits it's usefulness in my opinion since it's a little difficult to go out and produce these impulse responses, a better implementation would be to give say the frequency response equation in the z domain which would be a much easier way of doing things, course you would need to calculate the equation for the digital circuit that you want to make but you would have some interesting consequences. You could try out filter designs rather easily and such. Anyway, it is a more powerful equalizer because you can have much finer boosts and decreases than if you used a 8-band equalizer. The resolution is determined by the type of FFT that is used but it should be pretty much to the point where you would probably have problems resolving between the two adjacent frequencies. And the website is helpful in providing a few sample impulse responses. But like I said I think it's out of the scope of most people to synthesize their own impulse responses. I probably should look into this myself but I don't have any real interest personally.

Jan 14, 2004 at 1:31 AM Post #5 of 13
Convlover is one of the best features in f2k--simply amazing.

if you have downloaded the impulses which born2bwire have provided try its binaural3 preset [make sure convlover is active in DSP manager]... you will be amazed. all you guys with headphones need to try it, now!

Jan 14, 2004 at 7:03 PM Post #6 of 13
Binaural2 makes me head hurt...makes my mind think there's been a sudden extreme change in pressure in the room since everything sounds like it does after driving in a car on a highway for a long time...

What kind of music makes binaural3 sound good?

Jan 14, 2004 at 10:37 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by wali
Convlover is one of the best features in f2k--simply amazing.

if you have downloaded the impulses which born2bwire have provided try its binaural3 preset [make sure convlover is active in DSP manager]... you will be amazed. all you guys with headphones need to try it, now!

I'm listening to it now and I don't like it much. Everything sounds like it's coming out of a funny shaped tunnel. A distortion adding tunnel.
wink.gif

*EDIT*

It also seems to completely cut out midrange frequencies. Weird.

Jan 15, 2004 at 2:45 AM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally posted by Distroyed
Binaural2 makes me head hurt...makes my mind think there's been a sudden extreme change in pressure in the room since everything sounds like it does after driving in a car on a highway for a long time...

What kind of music makes binaural3 sound good?

Jazz!

Jan 16, 2004 at 3:54 AM Post #9 of 13
out of the included impulses, i thought the metal one had the best sound, but now i feel it makes the bass kind of muddy and brings the highs out a bit too much for my taste. i found some nice sounding presets here: http://www.memi.de/echochamber/responses/index.html i'm currently using the sony-oxford LP 12kHz 36dB impulse. the bass is still pitched up a bit, but sounds much more natural than the metal impulse. overall the sound is detailed and the soundstage seems somewhat wider than without any eq. anyone have experience making their own impulses? i'd love to fine-tune this plugin to fit my ears...

Jan 16, 2004 at 4:47 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

anyone have experience making their own impulses?

Well if anyone does please post, I'd be interested. School starts up on Tuesday but I don't think I'm doing any DSP classes but could probably fire off an e-mail to my DSP prof from last semester.

AHHH!!! You could map out the waveform in assembly language. Yeah, you could but I think that'd be more involved than is necessary. But it would be an interesting exercise because then you could do a direct translation of the desired filter's frequency response and then convert it into time domain and simply sample the time domain to come up with the desired waveform. You could then write a quick assembly program to write the waveform sample points into a buffer and then output the buffer to a file and I guess that could do it. The .wav format as far as I know is simply just a stream of samples without any encoding. When I do sound in assembly I simply write exactly what's in the file (in progressive order) to the dma buffer. So I guess you could just write out the samples and create a .wav file that way.

EDIT: I'm still going about the filter idea but anyway. Check out this site for more stuff about convolution and impulses but I would also recommend taking a DSP course, tough but very interesting stuff. Oh yeah, website: http://noisevault.com/

Jan 17, 2004 at 3:09 PM Post #12 of 13
Ripping impulse responses of any DSP is easy. Just run a single click through it, record the output using e.g. totalrecorder and cut 0 samples in the beginning and the end. To combine DSPs run the 1st IR through the next DSP and do the same ... etc.

A nice tool to generate impulse responses from measurements, inverse filters etc. is Aurora for CoolEditPro / Adobe Audition. I'm playing with it trying to create better HRIRs (head related impulse responses) for ASDFer's HRTF plugin (foobar2000 plugin for stereo -> binaural conversion using convolution).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back