Foobar browser: how do you deal with artists that start with "The"?
Feb 22, 2007 at 3:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

tennisets

1000+ Head-Fier
I just set up foobar a few days ago since I couldn't get winamp to work with asio. I'm using columns ui and foo_browser. But the thing that drives me crazy with foo_browser is that if an artist starts with the word "The" (for example The Shins, The Beatles, The Flaming Lips, etc.), the browser puts it under T, for The. So I have a long list in the browser window of The ... and it's really annoying.

I liked in winamp that it automatically sorted by the next word if the first word was The. Is there any way to do this in Foobar? I don't want to have to put The as the last word (Shins, The). So what can I do?

Feb 22, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #2 of 17
I use MediaMonkey and it has an option to ignore "The". I seem to remember reading that being an option in Foobar too but I expect it is more difficult to setup. Like everything in Foobar.

Feb 22, 2007 at 4:07 PM Post #3 of 17
Well I actually just got ASIO working in WinAmp (needed to offset the channels by 2), so I don't need to use FooBar. However, I don't like any of the WinAmp album art plugins, and MediaMonkey looks pretty interesting, so I may have to check that out. Thanks for the rec.

Edit: I'd still be interested in seeing how to do this in Foobar though.

Feb 23, 2007 at 5:45 AM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just set up foobar a few days ago since I couldn't get winamp to work with asio. I'm using columns ui and foo_browser. But the thing that drives me crazy with foo_browser is that if an artist starts with the word "The" (for example The Shins, The Beatles, The Flaming Lips, etc.), the browser puts it under T, for The. So I have a long list in the browser window of The ... and it's really annoying.

I liked in winamp that it automatically sorted by the next word if the first word was The. Is there any way to do this in Foobar? I don't want to have to put The as the last word (Shins, The). So what can I do?

Check this out ...

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showpo...23&postcount=2

Feb 23, 2007 at 6:49 AM Post #6 of 17
Use this as your sort string:

Code:

Code:
[left]$if($stricmp($substr($if2($if2(%albumartist%,%album artist%),%artist%),1,4),the ),$substr($if2($if2(%album artist%,%albumartist%),%artist%),5,99),$if2($if2(%albumartist%,%album artist%),%artist%)) ب[%disc%] ب$num(%tracknumber%,3) ب%_path_raw%[/left]

Feb 23, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 17
I've renamed them like this:

The Prodigy --> Prodigy, The
The Flaming Lips --> Flaming Lips, The
etc.

No need for code strings and works fine. It's not too much trouble either.

Feb 23, 2007 at 7:42 PM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tennisets /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well I actually just got ASIO working in WinAmp (needed to offset the channels by 2), so I don't need to use FooBar. However, I don't like any of the WinAmp album art plugins, and MediaMonkey looks pretty interesting, so I may have to check that out. Thanks for the rec.

Edit: I'd still be interested in seeing how to do this in Foobar though.

For a free app that does organizing your library better than WinAmp or Foobar definitely checkout MediaMonkey. Winamp plugins work in MM too and it also has Shoutcast radio.

Feb 23, 2007 at 11:00 PM Post #9 of 17
I remove the "the" from all of my artist names (both in the tag and the filename). It works well for me - artists appear in a better order in my opinion that way. Plus I can never remember which artists have "the" in their name or not anyway... Smashing Pumpkins? Prodigy? etc...

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:17 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I remove the "the" from all of my artist names (both in the tag and the filename). It works well for me - artists appear in a better order in my opinion that way. Plus I can never remember which artists have "the" in their name or not anyway... Smashing Pumpkins? Prodigy? etc...

I did the same thing. Works for me!

Feb 25, 2007 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 17
This may be similar to the approach of Mr. Muffin, but here is my Artist sort string that allows you to leave "The" in the name and still sort properly. This will show the name without "The" (e.g. Beatles) in the Album Panel but still show the proper name in your Column View (The Beatles). This also sorts albums within an artist by year of release:

$if($stricmp($left(%artist%,3),'The'),$right(%arti st%,$sub($len(%artist%),4)),[%artist%])

For sort by Artist/Album I use this:

[$if($stricmp($left(%album artist%,3),'The'),$right(%album artist%,$sub($len(%album artist%),4)),[%album artist%]) - ]['['%date%']' ]%album%|[[%discnumber%.]%tracknumber%. ][%track artist% - ]%title%

Nov 21, 2009 at 6:12 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Patu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've renamed them like this:

The Prodigy --> Prodigy, The
The Flaming Lips --> Flaming Lips, The
etc.

No need for code strings and works fine. It's not too much trouble either.

Is if you've 100 'the' bands.

Use this Foobar2000:Title Formatting Reference - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

Nov 22, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #13 of 17
Personally, I prefer the "facets" plugin which enables an itunes organisation by genre/artist/album. In the preferences, there's a "ignore 'the' in artist name" option.

And don't forget how much faster the research function is in foobar2k compared to winamp.

Nov 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Same here...simple answer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back