foobar-asio error help!
Dec 24, 2006 at 7:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

educator

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to use asio on foobar with my m-audio audiophile usb. Foobar recognizes the audiophile as a usb device but when I try to play music I get the following error:

Unrecoverable playback error: The ASIO device does not support specified sample rate (44100Hz); please configure resampler appropriately

What do I need to do?
confused.gif

Thanks

Dec 24, 2006 at 8:58 PM Post #2 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by educator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am trying to use asio on foobar with my m-audio audiophile usb. Foobar recognizes the audiophile as a usb device but when I try to play music I get the following error:

Unrecoverable playback error: The ASIO device does not support specified sample rate (44100Hz); please configure resampler appropriately

What do I need to do?
confused.gif

Thanks

If you are trying to playback 16-bit, 44.1kHz data, then you wil need this:

1) Audiophile USB panel - set to 16-bit, 16000-48000 Hz
(this is in the lower right toolbar of your screen)
2) Foobar Preferences:
Playback - 16-bit fixed point
DSP - nothing in the left field - move everything to the right, volume, resamplers etc..

These three things should do it. If you want to do 24/96, then see my webpage under Computer Audio:
http://www.empiricalaudio.com

Settings for the Audiophile USB should be similar. you should have ASIO plug-in installed as well to bypass KMIXER.

Steve N.
Empirical Audio

Dec 25, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #3 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
2) Foobar Preferences:
Playback - 16-bit fixed point

For the ASIO device the output data format field is grayed out at 24 bit. I can't change it to 16 bit or anything else.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:11 AM Post #4 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by educator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For the ASIO device the output data format field is grayed out at 24 bit. I can't change it to 16 bit or anything else.
confused.gif
confused.gif

Is this in the Audiophile USB control panel?

If so, then the driver may not be installed properly. Everything should be black in the control panel. You probably have a Windows driver installed instead.

Go to Start-Settings-Control Panel and open up System- Hradware - Device Manager

Then find the USB Controllers - the Audiophile USB should be listed there. If not, then it is not installed.

I would uninstall the Audiophile USB driver in Device manager and then unplug the USB cable and re-run the device driver install program. Then reboot the computer and re-plug the USB cable. It should then find the Audiophile USB. When Windows recognizes it, then allow it to automatically finish installing the driver.

Steve N.

Dec 25, 2006 at 6:13 AM Post #5 of 9
I suspect it is not the bit-depth. I got the same error when playing around with my Edirol UA-1EX and foobar's ASIO output. It all had to do with the resampling settings. For example if the Edirol was set to 48kHz and the resampling plugin set to the default 44.1 (or off completely).

From what the error says I think it is just the case of your M-Audio being set to another sampling rate (48kHz, 88kHz, 96kHz etc.). Set it to 44.1, or alternatively use one of the resampling plugins to resample to the setting you desire.

Cheers,
X

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:32 AM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by audioengr /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this in the Audiophile USB control panel?

No, this is in foobar. It doesn't matter what I set in the audiophile usb control panel, the asio output format/postprocessing is greyed out at 24 bits.

Dec 25, 2006 at 11:35 AM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From what the error says I think it is just the case of your M-Audio being set to another sampling rate (48kHz, 88kHz, 96kHz etc.). Set it to 44.1, or alternatively use one of the resampling plugins to resample to the setting you desire.

As I wrote above, setting the m-audio to 16 bits doesn't help. The resampling plugins don't help either.

I may try reinstalling the audiophile usb later when i have time.

Dec 25, 2006 at 12:46 PM Post #8 of 9
As I mentioned, it has nothing to do with bit depth. It has to do with the sampling rate. 16/24 bit is the depth. Sampling rate is 44.1/48/96kHz etc.

Dec 26, 2006 at 12:23 PM Post #9 of 9
I can't find a way to set the m-audio to 44.1. I used a foobar resampler to resample to 48000 and it worked but there was a lot of crackling in the music. Maybe if I had more memory in my computer and it did less disk swapping that would go away.

If anyone using the audiophile usb can tell me how to set it to 44.1, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back