Foobar and using EqualizerAPO , loud parts in music limit on the fly
Dec 9, 2016 at 1:53 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

s8n

New Head-Fier
hi Head-Fi members ,  i got this problem i can't figure out.  When playing a audio file through Foobar and using EqualizerAPO the bass parts ( or loud parts ) limit itself on the fly ,  if i set the Windows 7 mixer to 6 it doesn't happen but if it's on 100 it starts limiting.  I was wondering if this was fixable and if the Windows mixer is on 6 am i loosing sound quality ?

chat soon

Dec 9, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #2 of 8
I don't understand what exactly you mean by limiting. Do you mean clipping? What are your EqualizerAPO settings? After modifying the audio with an equalizer it is possible that the level of some samples will go over 100% and cause clipping.

Dec 9, 2016 at 10:55 PM Post #3 of 8
what i mean by limiting is ,  say i start playing a song and there is a acoustic guitar for 10 seconds and then electric guitars and drums kick in the volume level reduces a lot............................it is automatic and on the fly

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:09 AM Post #4 of 8
I'm not really an expert in the EqualizerAPO, but looks like it must have some clipping protection kicking in and that's causing the muting. That may be actually a good thing, as the alternative would be a massively distorted sound.

What you should do is set the Pre Amplifying to the opposite of your highest gain value - with the settings as in the screen shot it should be at -27. That should prevent the volume fluctuations. And then set the Windows volume to 100%.

The next step would be to bring the EQ to within +-10dB - that's still quite a lot (when you do that, change the Preamp accordingly). Your EQ curve has an awful lot of boost, in particular for sub bass. Do you even have speakers or headphones that can handle 10 Hz? Try the following: leave the 10Hz slider where it is and set all the remaining ones to the minimum (i.e. -30dB) and play some music. Can you hear (or feel: 10 Hz is too low to hear it) anything apart from distortions? Make your decisions based on results...

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:58 AM Post #5 of 8
hi guys ,  i use Sennheiser HD 650's for music according to the below site they can handle 10Hz.  I have changed some settings from suggestions and i can now hit 100 in the Windows mixer and my preferred APO settings with no limiting ( tested more than a few tracks ).

https://www.cnet.com/products/sennheiser-hd-650/specs/

Try the following: leave the 10Hz slider where it is and set all the remaining ones to the minimum (i.e. -30dB) and play some music. Can you hear (or feel: 10 Hz is too low to hear it) anything apart from distortions?

i tried this and i have to increase my Denon Amplifier to 65 to hear the music and it's quite low in this test  ,  it doesn't distort like limiting tho.  I usually listen to music around 52 ,  so i'm not sure what to make of this test. 

The next step would be to bring the EQ to within +-10dB - that's still quite a lot (when you do that, change the Preamp accordingly). Your EQ curve has an awful lot of boost, in particular for sub bass

i'm not 100% but roughly is this what you are suggesting ?

Dec 10, 2016 at 3:11 AM Post #6 of 8
Yeah, that's more like it - unless all you want to hear is bass and hi-hats. I would still take the 40 and 80 Hz a bit down, as HD650 are a rather warm headphone and don't really need help in that range. But feel free to make it whatever you like. 

The important thing is to use the Preamp to compensate for the highest boost.

Also more boost means more distortions and more bleeding to other frequency bands, as well as obscuring other sounds. With EQ a good rule to follow is "less is more" - try making adjustments as small as possible, and you will be rewarded with much better sound clarity. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back