Foobar and Kernal streaming
Dec 23, 2006 at 4:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

calcajun

100+ Head-Fier
I am using Windows media center edition and Foobar 2000 v 0.9.4.2.

DAC connected to the onboard digital out of the HP media center pc.

I belive the onboard sound is realtek.

foo_out_ks.dll is in the foobar component directory.

Under foobar preferances the kernal stream out is listed under components.

How do i know it is being used ?

Currently i can hear pc sounds and change volume from windows mixer.

Is this right? I searched and read but still unsure.

Thanks

Dec 24, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #2 of 6
if you selected it in the preferences and you are getting sound, then it should be properly configured. You can still hear the pc sounds because windows is still using directsound to process the "other" sounds, kernel streaming is just local to foobar. Volume changes work but they probably arent immediate.

Dec 24, 2006 at 12:25 PM Post #3 of 6
Thats just it, I did not actually select it.
I put the DLL file in the component diretory.
When i next started foobar it showed up in the preferances, component found list but i see no where to actually configure or say to use it or not.
It shows up under components found but thats the only place i see it.
I would think i should be able to configure it or turn it on or off but nothing. I just see it in the components found list.

Dec 24, 2006 at 6:45 PM Post #4 of 6
Go to Preferences, then playback -> Output, there should be a box labeled Output device, if Kernel streaming is active, there should be a KS infront of the name of your soundcard. If its not active there will be a DS infront of it, and to switch kernel streaming on just select the one with KS in front of it from the dropdown menu there. You will know its on because you will get a warning message the 1st time you use it.

Dec 25, 2006 at 1:48 PM Post #5 of 6
Here is what shows up under the output device.
Of course i am using the Digital Out to my DAC.
The device i am using that sends info to the dac is the primary sound driver which has DS in front of it which i guess stands for direct sound.
As you can see the other devices have the KS in front of them for the other outputs on the computer.
If i choose the KS HD rear output, i hear it through my main speakers and it is actually louder but then i get nothing out of the digital out to the dac.

?????

Foodrvlist.jpg

Dec 25, 2006 at 4:26 PM Post #6 of 6
Ok, now i have the KS: HD rear output selected and it is comming through the digital out to the DAC.
Also when i switch from DS device to the KS one it is also louder through the DAC so i know i am switchin devices and it is using KS.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back