Foobar Alternative: Winamp
Jan 14, 2006 at 10:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

AzNwiLD0

New Head-Fier
I used Foobar (properly set up with SSRC resampling and kernel streaming) for a full week. The Database/Playlist management gives me a headache compared to Winamp's Library (been using that for a few years now). But the sound quality was a step or two above Winamp .. until...

I searched google and with the right output plugin(s), I'm back to Winamp. Here's how.

out_ks33.dll (Steve Monk's post) - Kernel Streaming. If you have a good soundcard and don't want resampling, this is all you need. Based on the original out_ks.dll, but without that really big bug of stopping playback at the end of a track. And volume control too, if you want it.
^ no more edits for now

HQSoftProc Software Resampling v4.4 - Fancy name, but it's free. Check the readme for your sound card's recommended bit resolution and bit rate settings. Us Realtek AC97 people use 16-bit and 48000. Put the kernel precision from 150 to 300 if your cpu allows. You can also choose which output plugin you want, so be sure to grab the Kernel streaming one above and route it through there. I can't test ASIO, but according to the readme, it's also supported.

Without resampling, sound quality technically should be the same. With resampling, I found it, dare I say, slightly better than Foobar's SSRC Resampling.

Jan 15, 2006 at 9:11 AM Post #3 of 9
i installed that first one a while back.. then i installed the second one you posted.. when i installed and went to listen to a song. and it wouldn't play. i went an turned off all the DSP (crossfeed ) so it works without my crossfeed turned on.. seems kinda odd..i guess i don't know how the plugin works.
confused.gif

Jan 15, 2006 at 5:24 PM Post #4 of 9
I didn't know that the KS plugin is being worked at again. That one looks a whole lot better than the old one to say the least. It doesn't seem to like the Line-In plugin a whole lot though. Overall I can still achieve better results (latency/skip delay, stability with line-in, no blocking of output device on pause) with my trusty out_asio (dll, v0.51) + ASIO4All combo, but this one's not too far off and may become a viable option once the remaining kinks are worked out.

BTW, comparing resamplers' quality with lowly Realtek based onboard sound is, umm, slightly pushing it IMHO.

Jan 16, 2006 at 3:40 AM Post #5 of 9
I find it funny you got headaches from foobar's playlist management, which is the best asset of the program IMO. Opposite is true with me and winamp, its like going back to dark ages when I am only stuck with that on my friends' computers
frown.gif
to each his own, shouldnt really be that different other than the interface anyway.

Jan 16, 2006 at 3:44 PM Post #6 of 9
Maybe you did this, but try hitting alt-L next time you're over. Of course if it's never been used, you gotta populate it by choosing a folder and letting the database update. The search field at the top is quite nifty.

As with all things, it's a matter of what you're comfortable with. Foobar has plenty of things on it's own merit.

Jan 16, 2006 at 3:51 PM Post #7 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by AzNwiLD0
Maybe you did this, but try hitting alt-L next time you're over. Of course if it's never been used, you gotta populate it by choosing a folder and letting the database update. The search field at the top is quite nifty.

As with all things, it's a matter of what you're comfortable with. Foobar has plenty of things on it's own merit.

does it let you make playlists on per-folder basis? first thing I noticed when i moved from winamp 2.74 to foobar way back was that the tabbed playlists fit like a glove with my own file management (different folder for each album or series, but not all of them are tagged right so using database is nearly useless)

Jan 16, 2006 at 5:59 PM Post #9 of 9
I got my foobar and winamp sounding the same. I have my playlists all organized and nice in foobar and thats great for when I want to listen to albums and groupings. But I use winamp if i want to jsut listen to random songs. Like i'll open up my folder of music and just double click a file for winamp. Basically if I'm sitting down for a few minutes and want a song in the background I quick select something in winamp rather than getting caught up in my huge library in foobar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back