Foobar 2000 WASAPI NOT exclusive
Jul 18, 2011 at 7:46 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

kalston

100+ Head-Fier
Hey, 
I'd like to use WASAPI in foobar (to bypass Windows 7 mixer) but without having to use exclusive mode because that mutes every other sound which means I have to not only stop my music (pause isn't enough) but also restart my other applications whenever I want to, let's say play a game or watch a youtube vid. 

In XP I used Kernel Streaming which did not mute the other sounds so I could simply pause my music (or stop it) never having to shut down foobar or restart any of my applications. 

My problem is that the only WASAPI plugin I can find for foobar is for exclusive mode, and disabling exclusive mode in the Windows settings makes foobar unable to play anything at all with WASAPI. 

Right now I'm using the DS output in foobar and I have to change the settings all the time since I have 44.1, 48 & 96khz music. And yeah, I can definitely notice the up/downsampling in some cases so I don't want to live with it. 

This is frankly one of my major gripes with Win 7 (that and the very poor handling of monitor refresh rates other than 60 in games, which means having to use a rather complicated and risky workaround) so I do hope there's something that can be done. 

& BTW ASIO has the same issues as WASAPI exclusive and KS seemed unstabled the last time I tried it (might give it another shot later)

Thanks!

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 5
Shared mode means that multiple streams can and will be mixed (together) to a common format that is configured in the playback device properties window, so what you're trying to do is not possible. And to put it simply, DS uses WASAPI in shared mode which imo is the reason why there's no extra fb2k plugin just for that.

My suggestion: if the majority of your music is 44.1 then simply use the SoX plugin to resample everything to 44.1 and set the mix format in the playback device properties also to 44.1 kHz. And I don't think you can hear what's going on above 20 kHz.

Jul 19, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 5
*listens to system sounds, sees his DAC displaying 44.1KHZ.....* 

ph34r.gif

<3 my Mac. Get an old Mini or something off eBay, put your music on an external device, cheap small monitor, unless you don't mind hooking it up to your normal one and switching between inputs. Use that for music. Happy ending!

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 5
Ah, I didn't know DS used WASAPI in shared mode. 
Quote:
And I don't think you can hear what's going on above 20 kHz.

I don't either but on some of my 96khz songs I get some kind of white noise if I resample to 44.1 or 48 in the Xonar control panel. Most of the time I'd say I could be imagining things but in this case there's a real problem. 

Anyway **** it, I'll have foobar output set to ASIO and forget about the sampling rate settings since it bypasses even the Xonar ones anyway. 

Quote:
*listens to system sounds, sees his DAC displaying 44.1KHZ.....* 

ph34r.gif

<3 my Mac. Get an old Mini or something off eBay, put your music on an external device, cheap small monitor, unless you don't mind hooking it up to your normal one and switching between inputs. Use that for music. Happy ending!

Well, I tend to enjoy listening to music on my laptop with the FiiO e7 more and more tbh, but sometimes I like having my own music in game without muting the game sounds. I only got headphones and can't have speakers for now. Otherwise I'd just plug speakers on my laptop and have my music in the background while gaming with headphones or something. 

Jul 19, 2011 at 6:27 PM Post #5 of 5
@Somnambulist: Right and when there's a sample rate mismatch it will automatically be converted, just like with DS / shared mode on Windows.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back