Foobaar VS. VLC Am I crazy that VLC is horrible?
Mar 22, 2014 at 7:01 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gr34td3str0y3r

100+ Head-Fier
(running FLAC) Now that I have a couple pairs of audiophile headphones I have noticed some of my favorite albums sound horrible. I hear artifacts, what basically sounds like clipping. 
I just downloaded Foobar on this computer and retried one of the tracks that just sounded too bad to believe. "Devour" by MM. I checked the DR and its only a 4, but that shouldn't explain the clipping during the quite intro. 
I popped it into Foobar and it sounded fine. What? 
Just to make sure I wasnt crazy, I listened to the same track, MP3 format, on my iphone 5. It sounded fine. 
What in the world makes VLC sound so horrible? 
I thought people liked foobar better just because it had better options... but it actually sounds better! 

Can anyone else back this up, that VLC sound noticeably worse than foobar and other players. 

Mar 22, 2014 at 3:03 PM Post #2 of 2
  (running FLAC) Now that I have a couple pairs of audiophile headphones I have noticed some of my favorite albums sound horrible. I hear artifacts, what basically sounds like clipping. 
I just downloaded Foobar on this computer and retried one of the tracks that just sounded too bad to believe. "Devour" by MM. I checked the DR and its only a 4, but that shouldn't explain the clipping during the quite intro. 
I popped it into Foobar and it sounded fine. What? 
Just to make sure I wasnt crazy, I listened to the same track, MP3 format, on my iphone 5. It sounded fine. 
What in the world makes VLC sound so horrible? 
I thought people liked foobar better just because it had better options... but it actually sounds better! 

Can anyone else back this up, that VLC sound noticeably worse than foobar and other players. 

Could be something wrong with your installation on VLC, maybe try a fresh install.
http://www.videolan.org/index.html

Users who are viewing this thread

Back