Fondest Memories Involving Headphones (Story-Fi)
Jun 14, 2011 at 1:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

fx101

New Head-Fier
So I'm really surprised (after extensive searching) that no such thread appears to have existed.
The goal of this thread is simple. Recount the fondest, darkest, happiest, or most memorable moments in your life that have involved headphones.

Delve into one memory at a time and really explore it.

Ideally you'll follow these rules:
1. The memory must involve headphoens
2. Make a sincere attempt at writing in a way that the readers can feel the emotions/feelings as you felt them.
3. Don't start flame-wars if the headphones involved in the story are of inferior quality. For instance, if a member's fondest memories involved Beats then don't start a page-long tirade about how they suck.
4. Identify (if possible) the headphones involved
5. Avoid direct reference to particular people's identities or illegal activities. If they are essential, then just imply them.
6.... Not sure what the head-fi policy on profanity is so hopefully somebody could enlighten me.

I'm really interested to see what wonderful/terrible/moving memories head-fi users have to share.

To give this thread a start I'll begin with my fondest memory involving headphones...
It's rather lengthy, but all the parts really contributed to this head-fi worthy anecdote:

I was 17. High school was nearing its end, and soon I'd be off to university. I had woken up that Friday morning to a dream that I was indeed done with school. Instead, I found myself in unfamiliar surroundings. Of course... my parents were both away and I was staying at my friend's place. I didn't really like this friend, but at the time I was having trouble finding a group of friends to fit in to. I used to hang out with the "popular" crowd... but I began to realize that I was only friends with them out of convenience. Coming from that group I of course denied the existence of "clicks"... but secretly I knew they were there. Everyone did. That was the part of school that I dreaded to think about that particular morning: who I would even talk to when I got there. I was always a fan of the alt-crowd: the indie kids, the kids who listened to music with no pretenses in mind. Yet the day went by entirely without any attempt on my part to talk to either group. I was... in apathy.

Being the end of high school I had hardly any work, but also no group of friends that I wanted to spend time with and no parents to go home to. I'd be going to a great university already... but that seemed so far. The present was ultimately what eluded me. And with that I said f*ck it, walked out of school, stepped into my car and started driving into the countryside. It was 6pm, and I was just so tired that I took a nap on the side of the road. When I woke up it was 11pm and I still felt lonely and without anything to do. That's when I remembered that starting a few weeks before, people had been starting up raves out in the hilly countrysides. So I started driving around looking for one. Finally, after an hour on winding roads betwixt hills of grass I saw in the distance a display of lights appearing to originate beneath a bed of fog and reaching into the heavens. I parked, and upon a swift descent I saw a crowd of over 2000 people moving in beat to trance, with lights seeming to melt into a sea of dense fog.

We did stuff (Can't go into detail without violating rule 5)... and next thing I know, I see a girl I had always had a crush on from my circle of friends in the crowd. She always seemed to hang around the well-dressed and cheerleading crowd so I was more than surprised to see her in all neon, covered in candy bracelets, and dancing the night away with thousands of others. The next series of hours were a bit blur... but we danced the night away, lost in our own world... even on the taxi ride back home (not quite sure how/when we ended up on that taxi). The music had long since ended, and we were a couple of hours from crack of dawn, but for us it was still going as we kissed all along that ride home. When we got home, I led her up to my room and she gently knocked me back unto my bed. I had a pair of rather old AKG's next to the bed, and a Paul Oakenfold LP. I remember gazing into her eyes as she started playing the record, slipped the headphones over my ears... and we started to make love.

A truly beautiful night. Granted, I woke up the next morning to realize that my car was in the middle of the countryside some 4 hours away, I had payed for a $150 taxi ride, and I felt like crap. Still, very minor points in a night that I will always remember and will probably remain one of a kind. I have to admit, the AKG's handled the trance VERY well and offered some great durability and comfort during the encounter.

Jul 28, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #2 of 4
No story here; sorry for getting your hopes up.

I just wanted to mention that the last sentence really did it for me. I was laughing for a minute straight.

Quote:
The AKG's handled the trance VERY well and offered some great durability and comfort during the encounter.

Jul 28, 2011 at 7:58 AM Post #4 of 4
Min is simply listening to my favourite pieces of music for the first time on the hd600's.  Bliss.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back