Follow up with my Minolta X-700 (some nice pics i took)
Jan 16, 2005 at 2:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

null

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi guys! I've been playing around with my minolta x-700 that I asked about before a while ago. I've learned basic stuff already (aperture, shutter speed, exposure etc) and I started to take some pictures.

...I just want to share some pics I think you guys may like (they arent the best in the world but I like them a lot!)

Here they are... (links)

Sunrise 1

Sunrise 2

Sunrise 3

Please tell me what you think!
biggrin.gif

Jan 16, 2005 at 3:44 AM Post #3 of 18
1 - bad composition (bridge in the trees)
3 - bad composition (tree in foreground)
2 - bad composition. could have been composed better (don't be afraid of moving around, up & down), over exposed. It might have looked better with the sun streaking between both of the foreground trees.

Since you're using colour film, get a filter, which will balance out the colours better.

Instead of taking shots from things far away, try to find interesting things to shoot closer-up or which pulls the eye to the foreground.

Jan 16, 2005 at 4:05 AM Post #4 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by wallijonn
1 - bad composition (bridge in the trees)
3 - bad composition (tree in foreground)
2 - bad composition. could have been composed better (don't be afraid of moving around, up & down), over exposed. It might have looked better with the sun streaking between both of the foreground trees.

Since you're using colour film, get a filter, which will balance out the colours better.

Instead of taking shots from things far away, try to find interesting things to shoot closer-up or which pulls the eye to the foreground.

but still, for someone who just learned composition, shutter speed, etc, they're nice pictures .

Jan 16, 2005 at 3:28 PM Post #7 of 18
What I might suggest for practice is to select a subject and practice on it for a roll or two then critically evaluate what works and where you could improve the shots. Remember photographs capture everything so the trick is to compose the shot so that the viewers eye is drawn to the subject and not distracted by other peripheral things. That was what Wallijon was telling you. The bridge, sun rise, trees and puddles are all competing for your attention. One suggestion is to go to the library and go through photography picture books. Try and see how they composed the shots in the books and how your eye is drawn to the subject.

Jan 16, 2005 at 3:30 PM Post #8 of 18
Ah, I see what you guys are saying. Yeah, I remember reading about how you shouldn't have other distracting objects getting in the way of a subject in a photog. magazine. Thanks.

EDIT: Next time I can probably try to focus out the distracting stuff or use a smaller aperture (f value).

Jan 16, 2005 at 3:39 PM Post #9 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by null
Ah, I see what you guys are saying. Yeah, I remember reading about how you shouldn't have other distracting objects getting in the way of a subject in a photog. magazine. Thanks.

EDIT: Next time I can probably try to focus out the distracting stuff or use a smaller aperture (f value).

I don't know what you mean by "focus out" but using a smaller aperture (larger F value) will increase your depth of field, making MORE things in focus, not fewer. If you want to have a tighter range where things are in focus, you have to use a larger aperture (smaller F number).

The best advice is to walk, or move the camera. When you're shooting stills like those you did, you can move around some without your subject moving on you, and you can frame the shot that way. It's almost always best to move yourself until you have the right shot in the frame. (for any given lens).

Also, I like wallijon's advice to try for something a little less expansive. In photography, it's easiest to do macro shots, or tight shots of closer objects, then you move to a telephoto lens and take shots of distant objects, then you move to things like using a short lens for urban photography (tough) and portraits (also tough). So try to concentrate on just one subject, and get it to be as perfectly pictured as can be.

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:00 PM Post #11 of 18
Null,

Go back to that same place when on a cold winter's morning you can see the steam rising from the water, when you can capture wisps of smoke rising from the ethers like ghosts, or when the birds migrating can be captured in mid-flight. Wait until a colourful barge is the picture so that it provides a contrast, like a red or orange boat or a yellow sail on a sailboat.

Imagine that you are capturing music on film... listen to the song in your mind, make it evoke an emotion - like being secure that you're in a warm house while I am looking at a blizzard or a lightening storm in the background.

Capture your imagination. Or add it with photoshop. Download your picture to your computer and let your imagination run wild.

Jan 16, 2005 at 9:21 PM Post #12 of 18
Null, those are nice photos.
I like your compositions.
Yeah the last one is a bit overexposed, it's not too far off. I like how you set the sun hanging from the tree limb.

Jan 17, 2005 at 2:54 AM Post #15 of 18
Man, What I wouldn't have given to have taken that Old Mill Picture... But I would've composed it differently and I would have needed to see a black horse grazing on the right 1/3 of the picture.

I think everyone agrees that the Flower is almost a classic pic. Bravo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back