Folk Music Recommendations
Jan 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM Post #5 of 10
a couple...
Fairport Convention (esp. first couple albums with Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson)
Townes Van Zandt (this video has a long intro. but so worth watching...guy can make a 79 yr. old crusty blues guy break down...)
Espers (currently around and really great take on British-sounding 70's folk with a touch of Black Sabbath ?!, yep)

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:12 PM Post #6 of 10
Check out:
Karen Dalton
Loudon Wainwright
Bert Jansch
Iron And Wine
Judee Sill
+++
The list could be long, depending on the definition of folk.....

Jan 29, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #7 of 10
I'm no folk aficionado myself, but the soundtrack from "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?" is a really neat (and diverse) offering.

Also, I've saw this up-and-coming group at an artist showcase a few years ago. They're *really* good:

Bearfoot

Jan 29, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonnyhambone /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a couple...
Fairport Convention (esp. first couple albums with Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson)
Townes Van Zandt (this video has a long intro. but so worth watching...guy can make a 79 yr. old crusty blues guy break down...)
Espers (currently around and really great take on British-sounding 70's folk with a touch of Black Sabbath ?!, yep)

May as well check out Richard Thompson's later work too. Extremely versatile.

ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

Jan 29, 2010 at 10:25 PM Post #9 of 10
Some new offerings are pretty good:

The Avett Brothers
Iron and Wine
Fleet Foxes
Langhorne Slim

Little less straight traditional folk, though.

Jan 30, 2010 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 10
Bluegrass or folk? The artists the OP's mentioned I would not put necessarily squarely in either category...Kind of alt-folk perhaps. Here's a few suggestions based on listening to your picks (I liked the Agnostic Mountain Gospel Choir, btw):

The Be Good Tanyas
Po' Girl
Alexi Murdoch
Gillian Welch (moving towards bluegrass)
Wailin Jenny's
Nick Drake

many more, many mentioned already....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back