Folder-Fi??? All about Folder Bikes!!
Jul 23, 2008 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

scottiebabie

1000+ Head-Fier
woot! any fellow headfiers into or know anything about folding bicycles? i'll be moving back to Vancouver in a mth or 2. what with the price of gas & all, me thinks im gonna get a bike to work on the ol' 6pack & save some much needed moolah all at the sametime. since i'll be wanting this as an alternative city commuter machine as much as possible, im thinking a folding bike would fit the program to a tee. the functionality of being able to fold & carry on trains (skytrain/seabus in Van), buses or just plain ol dropping it in the car's trunk/backseat plus the security of taking it with me into restaurants, cafes, gym, etc.. is sweet.

anyhows i did some reading homework & is 80% settled on the Dahon Mu XL folder for ultimate allseason allweather allknowing city riding. anyone has any comments or experiences on it? any recco on a good LBS to purchase this beast? better yet, any hyper crazed vancouver headfierite into some speed bombing round stanley park before settling in for some latte R&R on robson&thurlow???
eek.gif
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

Jul 23, 2008 at 7:57 PM Post #2 of 5
Your going to get a folder for Vancouver?!?!! Check out some of what the local bike shops there carry, they have sick bikes.

Jul 24, 2008 at 6:57 AM Post #3 of 5
HAHA! ya i know. the Can Westcoast have some of the best downhill rides what with the abundance of local mtns (but i hear whistler/blackcomb's teh BOMB!).

reason i want a folder's coz i want a allround commuting & rec machine as im a ridding noobie. great thing about folder's one can bring it on trains & bus besides the supreme convenience of stuffing it in the truck or even the backseat. this way i can bring it along & get some ridding whenever whereever - something im sure i wont do with a normal bike. sides the new folder models look pretty kewl & is sure as hell different
cool.gif

guess once i get into this sport & discover i like, i can always get specialized machines for the respective task. & there seems to be an abundant of good used equipment on craigslist.

offtopic: which part of E of T.O. are ya?? FWIW i grew in TO & even owned my own pad in Scarberia at corner of Sheppard/Ellesmere
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #4 of 5
Have the Mu SL and it is great. Light, easy to fold and a blast to ride (as long as the road surfaces dont' get too rough). Only wish it had a couple more gears.
frown.gif

The XL is less extreme but makes it more well rounded.

Jul 27, 2008 at 4:24 AM Post #5 of 5
ya i thought the Mu XL is the best for intermodal city usage with basically most of all the accessories one needs. i too have some reservations about having only 8spd but i can change either the chainring or rear sprocket to gain better top end if i find i dont need the lower gears & have the need to speed (who doesnt!!!). btw i really really like the XL's shimano nexus low maintainence hub drive - nothing like getting caught at a uphill set of lights to make one appreciate being able to shift gear whilst stopped!!!

to be honest, i'd much prefer either the Mu SL for its low weight (19lbs or so) or the Speed Pro TT for its Mango Bling (& 27spds ofcos) but i think they're both too specialized for the daily grind.

as a noob to bikes & esp. folders, im gonna go with the Mu XL allrounder & see if i like it & will take it up more as a hobby/sport instead of just R&R/commuting ,then i can get more specialized machinery. there's some awesome DH runs in the greater Vancouver area & some crazy sick bikes for sale on craigslist
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back