Fold Flat Headphones for a briefcase
May 6, 2024 at 3:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sashua

Head-Fier
I have done some searching here on the forum, but I'd like to put this specific question up to all of you.

I do a lot of travelling and have been using a pair of NAD headphones that fold flat and give me a decent dose of fidelity on my journeys.

I'd like to upgrade them and money is not a factor.

SO...at any price level can I kindly, humbly and appreciatively request some suggestions for the following criteria:

1. Best possible fidelity. I use Audeze LCD-X at home but for travel they just aren't practical. I travel with a Chord Mojo 2 and, currently a pair of NAD Viso HP50 cans.
2. Light (not too bulky) and fold flat design.
3. reasonable bass performance without sounding too "boomy"
4. Noise cancelling would be a big plus but not required.

Looking forward to hearing a few suggestions!

Thanks,
Russ

May 6, 2024 at 6:45 PM Post #2 of 9
B&W PX8. I never travel without mine, Fold flat and great ANC to my ears.

May 6, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #3 of 9
Sennheiser Momentum 4 are excellent and the new version has more streamlined controls. The Bower & Wilkins PX7 Carbon edition is another good one I've had. 13 minute fast charge from empty to full is amazing on the B&W, and both have the auto on/off when you put them on or take them off.

May 10, 2024 at 7:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Dali IO-12

May 12, 2024 at 9:52 PM Post #7 of 9
I should add while the cups fold flat, it definitely isn’t as small as the PX8s

May 12, 2024 at 10:03 PM Post #8 of 9
I've had a lot of blue tooth noise cancelling headphones over the course of several years. Before retirement, I traveled internationally for an insane amount of time. I spent 1,000's of dollars always trying to find the best sound for my traveling headphones. I consider myself an audiophile. My desktop system is worth a lot of money. I have 20+ headphones.

I say all of this because I recommend the Apple Air pod Max. That's right, I do!!! Is it as good as my desktop system? Absolutely not. Is it the best BT noise cancelling headphone I've ever heard? Yes! The sound isolation is hands down the best. I returned from a walk around the neighborhood, and had the headphone on. I forgot I had set the alarm before leaving. I never heard the warning beeps that the alarm was about to go off. I barely heard the alarm once it did go off. Tonality is a bit on the warm side, but it does what it does with perfect timbre relative to overall sound. One of the most comfortable headphones I own. I've never heard music sound so consistently good from a BT, noice cancelling headphone.

Is it worth money? Not for the average person. Way over priced. Good price to performance ratio? Nope. Should you buy it? Yep, if you can afford it.

YMMV!

Leo

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 7:55 AM Post #9 of 9
That is the first time I have heard someone put "Apple" and "Audiophile" together in the same sentence.
I never bothered to consider the Max because I’ve always found Apple's commitment to fidelity to be pretty low on their list of priorities. given your experience with them, however, I am now adding them to the audition list!
I also intend to check out both the Sennheiser and B&W options thanks to all your posts.
Please friends, keep those recommendations coming!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back