Focusrite Solo; need headphone amp/dac?
Aug 24, 2022 at 11:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

pevsfreedom

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to figure out my best option here. I have a Focusrite solo, with cables out the back to Audio Engine A5+ speakers. These sound good in this set-up.

I have Beyerdynamic DT770s hooked to the Solo's headphone out. At max volume, these sound about 1/3rd as loud as I think they should. I believe I need a headphone amp to actually gain some volume.

My intentions are recording guitar and simply listening to music sometimes, either through the speakers (A5+'s) or the headphones (DT770s).

Questions:

1) Can I use the headphone out on the Focusrite Solo to a headphone amp? Will the Focusrite work as a DAC if I get an amp like the Schitt Magni? Or would I need something with a DAC or a Schitt Modi to get it sounding good? Basically can I just get the Magni or should I get a combo unit or a Schitt stack? Any suggestions?

2) I noticed Audio Engine has a D1 unit. Could I run my Focusrite back outputs to the A5+ input, and then output to the D1, and then use that as a headphone input/amplifier through my A5+'s? I don't know if this is their intended use (the D1's) because the USB input wouldn't really have a signal in this situation.

Any advice is appreciated.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #2 of 3
Have max out the volume controls on the PC?
Assuming you are using 250-Ohm DT770 headphones.
I would suggest investing in new headphones, with a lower Ohm rating.

Aug 25, 2022 at 5:30 PM Post #3 of 3
I kind of found I just need a headphone amp.

They are 80 ohm. PC volume doesn't let me do anything, once it's thru USB it's just the master knob on the USB interface. I guess that's not amplified, from what I read. So it makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back