Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 & 5.1 Computer Audio
Feb 20, 2020 at 6:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Subacca

New Head-Fier
I have a computer speaker system (Logitech z-5500) that i'm hooking up to a computer with a 18i8 audio interface attached. I plan on using either onboard audio or purchase a sound card as I don't believe the 18i8 is going to help me with outputting surround sound for games and movies. Will I be able to plug a keyboard/instrument into the 18i8 and have the sound go through the computer speaker systems? Will I have to connect the 18i8 to the computer sound card via optical or other?

Feb 20, 2020 at 8:27 PM Post #2 of 7
Subby- If I'm not mistaken, the Scarlets _are_soundcards, and with inputs as well as outputs, so yes, you should be able to input and instrument signal and mix it with the playback from your computer and monitor through your speakers. I don't believe that many on these forums use recording interfaces, so you might find more help on something like Gearslutz or other home recording sites.

Feb 20, 2020 at 9:58 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the response. I'll do some testing. My concern is that the audio interface (you are right it is just an external sound card with additional features for recording) doesn't decode dolby, dts, etc.. just passes through (which might be fine) but computer sound cards actually decode and support surround sound.

Feb 21, 2020 at 8:23 PM Post #4 of 7
I have a computer speaker system (Logitech z-5500) that i'm hooking up to a computer with a 18i8 audio interface attached. I plan on using either onboard audio or purchase a sound card as I don't believe the 18i8 is going to help me with outputting surround sound for games and movies. Will I be able to plug a keyboard/instrument into the 18i8 and have the sound go through the computer speaker systems? Will I have to connect the 18i8 to the computer sound card via optical or other?
With on-board audio (MB built in sound card) or add-on sound card and you want to use S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) to connect to the Z-5500. and in order to get 5.1 (6-channel) audio to the Z5500 you would need software like DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect, to encode (compress) the 6-channel of digital audio, for it to pass thru S/PDIF. The encoded audio is limited to 24-bit/48K, Otherwise only 2-channel of digital audio will pass thru S/PDIF, but those 2-channel can be 24-bit/96K or 24-bit/192K.
In Windows Sound control panel, you can set outgoing audio for the Z5500, but set the 18i8 for audio input (mic).

Feb 22, 2020 at 2:25 PM Post #5 of 7
With on-board audio (MB built in sound card) or add-on sound card and you want to use S/PDIF (optical or coaxial) to connect to the Z-5500. and in order to get 5.1 (6-channel) audio to the Z5500 you would need software like DDL (Dolby Digital Live) or DTS-Connect, to encode (compress) the 6-channel of digital audio, for it to pass thru S/PDIF. The encoded audio is limited to 24-bit/48K, Otherwise only 2-channel of digital audio will pass thru S/PDIF, but those 2-channel can be 24-bit/96K or 24-bit/192K.
In Windows Sound control panel, you can set outgoing audio for the Z5500, but set the 18i8 for audio input (mic).

Thanks for the good information. I'm still testing out combinations but optical from onboard to z-5500 and using Win10 "Movies & TV" player allowed me to play DTS and Dolby Digital content successfully. Tried VNC, MPC, and installing AC3Filter all which wouldn't play the content correctly, only that movies and tv software which was suprising. Coax from audio interface for music instruments, and 6 channel analog direct connection from computer to z-5500 for gaming. I'm still going to move towards a pci/e sound card for computer use and audio interface will have to be just that..instruments input only.

Feb 22, 2020 at 10:04 PM Post #6 of 7
Thanks for the good information. I'm still testing out combinations but optical from onboard to z-5500 and using Win10 "Movies & TV" player allowed me to play DTS and Dolby Digital content successfully. Tried VNC, MPC, and installing AC3Filter all which wouldn't play the content correctly, only that movies and tv software which was surprising. Coax from audio interface for music instruments, and 6 channel analog direct connection from computer to z-5500 for gaming. I'm still going to move towards a pci/e sound card for computer use and audio interface will have to be just that..instruments input only.
Asus Xonar DSX sound card comes with DTS-Connect (used card off E-Bay)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back