Focusrite Saffire 6 USB doesn't work with other USB audio devices
Aug 3, 2011 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

vexx

New Head-Fier
Hello,

I own a Focusrite Saffire 6 USB device for a time now but recently I have purchased a set of Razer Megalodons (USB) for gaming. The main purpose of this is to listen to music via SAffire to my speakers and with my headphones the ventrio client. (i had this setup before but with an internal Creative X-Fi as the music source). The problem is, the Razers don't play anything while the Saffire is connected and foobar and other players give errors. I also have a pair of Plantronics USB headset, which I tested with, the same problem. First I thought that I can't have 2 audio USB devices at the same time, so I've removed the Saffire and plugged the 2 USB headsets...both of them work perfectly.

I've also asked a friend to bring his M-Audio FW410 (firewire) to test it with and again, i works flawlesly in combination with any USB device. So my conclusion is, evidently that Saffire doesn't like anything USB audio plugged in. I have the latest drivers installed..and this is the point where I can't know what else should I do. I can't afford to buy another external device..and selling the Saffire then buying another is a hassle. If any of you had this problem before and fixed it...please, let me know how to proceed.

Tnx in advance

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:02 PM Post #3 of 8
Wndows 7 x64 is the OS and no, even as default device, I cannot select other USB audio devices to play. If the Saffire is on, even if I choose as the alternate source the USB headset for example, it gives an error. THAT HAPPENS ONLY WHEN THE SAFFIRE IS INSTALLED. If I install any firewire audio device or any usb audio device as primary, then insert the usb headphones, i can choose on any output on any application - as stated in my above example, using the main usb device as foobar output and the usb headset as ventrilo output. If one of the USB audio devices is the Saffire, then it takes over, no other USB device inserted will not work regardless. :frowning2:

Aug 3, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Try plugging the Saffire 6 and the USB headset on another computer to see if the behavior is the same. I don't think the issue is the Saffire 6 itself, rather a chipset on your system that isn't flexible enough to handle multiple USB audio devices.

Aug 5, 2011 at 5:45 AM Post #8 of 8
All three devices run at USB 1.1 full speed, so there is not enough bandwidth for more channels than those of the Saffire 6.

Get two USB 2.0 hubs, one each for the Saffire and the headphones, or get a separate USB controller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back