Focal utopia with schiit ragnarok
Apr 16, 2017 at 1:16 AM Post #2 of 5
I wonder how utopia sounds with schiit ragnarok.Please let me know if you have heard this pair
At a local meet there was a rag /yggy set up. I did not hear it myself but the comments from a few others there including someone who owns the local headphone store (who does not sell schiit product) said the utopia sounded exceptional. Scaled up significantly well

May 16, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #3 of 5
That was the initial setup I had wanted but in the end settled for Utopia + Audeze Deckard. Saved me a few bucks but the primary reason why I opted for the Deckard was because it had a better frequency range i.e. 5 - 100kHz whereas the Ragnarok has a 20 - 20kHz range (the Focal Utopia has a 5 - 50kHz range). Yes, anything below 20Hz should be inaudible but then again, I'd rather it be inaudible than not produced. Another thing, the Ragnarok is also an integrated amplifier and their settings allow for a speaker + headphones setting which (if the volume knob is turned to max) is a sure way to kill a pair of expensive cans. Would have been perfect if it had balanced inputs.

The sound? Heavenly. Still lacking a bit of soundstage but then again I have been pampered by my main hifi system (D'Agostino power amp + Krell preamp + Burmester CDP + Sonus Faber speakers + SVS sub).

May 17, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 5
Another thing, the Ragnarok is also an integrated amplifier and their settings allow for a speaker + headphones setting which (if the volume knob is turned to max) is a sure way to kill a pair of expensive cans. Would have been perfect if it had balanced inputs.

Your ears will have your brain throw the headphones off or reach for the knob or power switch on the amp before the headphones get destroyed by that amp.

If anything, your throwing them off will be the more likely cause of their demise.

May 17, 2017 at 12:29 PM Post #5 of 5
Saved me a few bucks but the primary reason why I opted for the Deckard was because it had a better frequency range i.e. 5 - 100kHz whereas the Ragnarok has a 20 - 20kHz range (the Focal Utopia has a 5 - 50kHz range)..

Incorrect. Here is the frequency response of the Ragnarok:

20Hz-20Khz, -0.25db, 2Hz-110KHz, -3dB

Users who are viewing this thread

Back