Focal Utopia vs HD 800s
Jul 18, 2022 at 10:04 PM Post #31 of 33
I have all kinds of cans-it is beyond a hobby for me. I have the Senn HD 800; and the top-of-the-line Beyerdynamics all GENS. I really love the T-5/third Gen. The T-1 first has a fixed cable and takes some amps to drive them. They were a little bright, so I changed pads to leather and it really improved that issue. I also did the same for the T-1 2nd gen too. The third generation is already dark sounding. I have the Focal Clear and the close back Focal Elegia. I change pads on both of them. For the Clear, I use the Elegia pads for more base, and on the Elegia I used the leather pads. This improved the sound for me. I really like the new Beyerdynamics DT 700 Pro and the 900 Pro open back. They really are very good-sounding headphones. Many people use them for mixing too. They really are well made and not that costly! The headband pad is really easy to replace along with the pads. I really like them! They are very light and good for long periods of wear. I am trying to discern between the HD-800S, HD 820, and or the Focal Utopia. I was told there's not much difference between the old HD 800 and the new 800s; and not a lot of difference between the Focal Clear and the Utopia either. At least not for the price range. I do like the Focals and how well-made they are. They sound good too!
Hello
Re differences between the HD800 and HD800S, I think it depends to some extent on whether the HD800 is an early or late S/N. The early HD800 sounds quite different to the later HD800 (and HD800S). Around S/N 17,XXX, it seems some features were modified slightly, affecting the top-end and bottom end. There's an interesting article about this: https://systematicsound.wordpress.com/2020/04/25/sennheiser-hd-800-review-early-vs-late/. I have examples of the early and late HD800, and the HD800S. I prefer the early HD800, but would choose the HD800S over the later HD800. I should say I seem to be part of a tiny minority in my preferences - but perhaps this is explained by the fact that I listen only to classical music.

Jul 19, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #32 of 33
Hello
Re differences between the HD800 and HD800S, I think it depends to some extent on whether the HD800 is an early or late S/N. The early HD800 sounds quite different to the later HD800 (and HD800S). Around S/N 17,XXX, it seems some features were modified slightly, affecting the top-end and bottom end. There's an interesting article about this: https://systematicsound.wordpress.com/2020/04/25/sennheiser-hd-800-review-early-vs-late/. I have examples of the early and late HD800, and the HD800S. I prefer the early HD800, but would choose the HD800S over the later HD800. I should say I seem to be part of a tiny minority in my preferences - but perhaps this is explained by the fact that I listen only to classical music.
Thank you for the article on the Senn HD 800. Looking at the information in the article I believe I have the new boxed version. I have always thought they sounded a little bright but not annoyingly so. I am not a bass-head thumper either. I like realism and the way it would sound if performed live. I also like classical music! I also like big bands and classical jazz. The Senns HD 800 does well with good music, I do enjoy them and the wide sound stage. I also have the new HD 660S; I like them too. They are darker with more bass being pronounced. I would not say they are bass-heavy. They are really nice light-wearing headphones that can be used all day long. The sound stage is very narrow.

Jul 19, 2022 at 6:57 PM Post #33 of 33
Yes, it's a cliche I know, but I agree the HD800 isn't the best option for music that isn't well recorded. If you're interested in trying phones with a similar flair for acoustic music, you might be interested in the MySphere. I have the 3.2, and find it's the only thing which to my ears rivals the HD800 (and in some respects surpasses it). It's the successor to the AKG K1000 (same designers), and is miraculously open. On the right recording, it can be uncanny in recreating a natural sound. It uses dynamic drivers, so will work with standard amps - but is best with some power.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back