Focal Utopia or Meze Empyrean:
Jan 31, 2021 at 6:25 AM Post #16 of 75
If given this two option, I’ll go with the empyrean for sure.

Feb 13, 2021 at 10:54 PM Post #17 of 75
I find the empyrean boring...other than wonderful looks and great comfort, the sound wasn’t TOTL to me...just not my cup of tea. I absolutely love the Utopia however, the Utopia can be boring unless you find THAT perfect pairing. Amp wise it is very picky.

Mar 10, 2021 at 5:24 AM Post #18 of 75
So, I bought a set of Ex=press Empyreans...very happy using both these and the Utopias in different situations. The Empyreans are a very different proposition to the Utopia - not quite as resolved, and less energetic...but...with a little EQ tweaking in the 2k-5k zone, they light up - it may be my hearing, but I found them a little too polite in the mids - with some adjustment, they have more energy and more engaging.

The more I listen, the more I like them - they don't grab you at first listen, but after a while, you 'get' how well-judged these are.

For cables, I swapped the stock cable for a Forza Noir HPC that I had for my Audeze's - bass clarity was better which was more pleasant to listen to, as well as some more tone in the mids - a little more air up top, but nothing dramatic. Now waiting on an Arctic Cables Signum+ cable to see what that does to them......

Very happy - if I had to pick one pair only, it would be the Focals, but having the Empyrean as well is a great choice for EDM and Rock when I just want to relax into the music.

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:34 PM Post #20 of 75
I've tried the Utopia, 1266 TC, and Empyrean

The Utopia was good, I didn't fall in love with it but it was a really good headphone
The 1266 TC I couldn't stand to listen to for more than a few minutes at a time
The Empyreans are the best headphones I've ever used, both in comfort and sound. They're magical IMHO
I completely agree and I own both the 1266 tc phi and the empys. The utopias are too bright for me.

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:40 PM Post #21 of 75
I completely agree and I own both the 1266 tc phi and the empys. The utopias are too bright for me.
Had the same trio( except phi cc instead of tc) and kept the Utopia. Still have the Diana and HD800S which are considerably brighter than Utopia. But of course this all is very personal and gear dependant.
The Empyreans I found very good first but at some point it dawned on me that they are actually really dull...no dynamic, doesn’t get my head nodding, feet tapping.

Mar 16, 2021 at 6:43 PM Post #22 of 75
Had the same trio( except phi cc instead of tc) and kept the Utopia. Still have the Diana and HD800S which are considerably brighter than Utopia. But of course this all is very personal and gear dependant.
The Empyreans I found very good first but at some point it dawned on me that they are actually really dull...no dynamic, doesn’t get my head nodding, feet tapping.
lol my feet are tapping now with the empys. I sold the 800S as I found them boring. Never foot tapped once...

The Empyrean is absolutely fantastic.

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2021 at 2:22 PM Post #24 of 75
Empyrean for sure!
My favourite pair of headphones especially with a great aftermarket cable.

Mar 18, 2021 at 7:29 PM Post #25 of 75
AS I say, I;m growing to love the Empyreans - The Utopias are brilliant, but for me it's kind of like cars - you can have a 488 and a DB9 - sometimes the DB9 is just the thing.....not as fast as the Pista, not as exciting...just nice for a long trip :D (actually, the metaphor works well - they are both stupidly expensive, need to be carefully looked after , and need expensive aftermarket add-ons to perform at their peak, and get lots of hits on Instagram)....

Apr 2, 2021 at 4:44 PM Post #26 of 75
AS I say, I;m growing to love the Empyreans - The Utopias are brilliant, but for me it's kind of like cars - you can have a 488 and a DB9 - sometimes the DB9 is just the thing.....not as fast as the Pista, not as exciting...just nice for a long trip :D (actually, the metaphor works well - they are both stupidly expensive, need to be carefully looked after , and need expensive aftermarket add-ons to perform at their peak, and get lots of hits on Instagram)....
So...the real question is...which Headphone is the 488 and which is the DB9...I know which of these two I prefer :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Apr 2, 2021 at 6:33 PM Post #27 of 75
I’d pick the utopia as the 488 and the Empyrean the DB9? Dime a dozen.

A better analogy would be the Utopia would be a Bianchi racer ; the Empyrean would be that titanium road bike you could ride for hours.

Both deserve a decent source. Just as you’d put a decent group set on a TOTL road frame.

Last edited:
Apr 18, 2021 at 3:35 AM Post #28 of 75
I have both. These are headphones where I'm happy with both and they're both really close, not in sound, but in terms of value to me. Having both, if I want that relaxing sound for long sessions, with that bass and soundstage, I can do the empyrean, and man, I love the empyrean. I understand why people who are detail hounds or are coming from a highly analytical and dare I say bright headphone, get shocked and decide "it's not enough detail", but man, stick with them, they end up being amazing. They have enough detail, IMO.

I go to the Utopia to be reminded what the highest levels of detail and dynamism will do for my music, and those sparkling highs, and yes, with that comes that sliver of pain, that slight edge of the blade, musically speaking, that headphones with that type of analytical nature also have.

My analogy will be Star Wars starships. Empyrean is Slave I, while the Utopia is the Tie Silencer.

Either way they are both fantastic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back