Focal Utopia Cable Upgrade: Silver Dragron V3 or Lavricables Master Silver ?
May 24, 2018 at 11:58 AM Post #31 of 38
there is actually noticeable difference even with less expensive Master series for Utopia compared to the standard one. Silver clearly gives more air to teh soundstage. So it might be matter of setup or simply subjective. Since everyone has it's own opinion, it's totally normal. Some guys might even use their iphones with $500+ custom 28 core cable for HE1k as we just experienced and then later pretend that there is totally no audible difference, others might have decent setups and otehr impressions like here, for instance.

no, we dont use cheap terminations, besides we offer different options and also some not listed on request.

I agree with the first part but not with the second one : "no cheap terminaisons". Everyone can check the retail price from an anonymous buyer of :
- ViaBlue 6.3mm : around $15
- Neutrick NC4MXBB : not found on my price list : NC4MX-B should be around $3.75 NC4MX-HD should be $9.20

Leaving in France, I can't borrow a cable and send it back with restocking fees (I've just noticed that you have no rstocking fees for standard 2m cables which is great). That's why I have to rely on others' opinion.

I tried to understand :
I think what matters the most with terminaisons is the way they are implemented. One can use very expensive ones but I think it will add a few drops for a lot of money. So your's could very well do the job.

I was surprised that no sound difference was found between the stock cable and your silver cable. Your's could be worse (I don't think so for the Grand 20 but some could find it "too bright") or better (which is what I'd had bet on, at least for the sounstage) but definitely, there should be a hudge difference between OFC and 6N silver cable.

So I would advise anyone living in the US to give a chance to your GRAND cable (I wouldn't recommend the Master line for those high-end headphones) as they only risk to be more than pleasantly surprised. Lucky guys.

My only wonder is the lack of outer jacket which could protect the silver cable itself.

May be you should allow a 4 weeks return period for the GRAND line as those cables needs at least 150 hours of breaking, which is 6 days being continuously used.

This is just my humble PERSONNAL opinion (not the truth), based on my little experience looking for cables, knowing we have all a different major equipment : our hears.

May 25, 2018 at 4:19 AM Post #32 of 38
@PHIL007

thanks for your opinion! Noted.

Regarding Master line, it would be fair to make some recommendations if you have heard it at least.

As to the plugs, all of them including viablue, aeco, carbon ones, xlrs, etc have been chosen and compared from price/ performance perspective. Obviously cheaper or more expensive options will always be available on the market and every manufacturer has his own choice what to use. Anyway, as already been said, on request we offer other options as well. Moreover, you could always send us your plugs or guide to buy the ones you wish. These do affect the sound, however cable geometry and materials are much more crucial in overall performance as we found out.

should you have any questions, do not hesitate to send us email.

May 25, 2018 at 7:58 AM Post #33 of 38
@lavricables

You're right about my recommendation about Master line but my recommendation was only for the Focal Utopia. As you know, I can't get them. If you want fairness, let me a pair of Master line and Reference line and I'll give you my humble opinion.

But I haven't been unfair as I have written :
"This is just my humble PERSONNAL opinion (not the truth), based on my little experience looking for cables"

I wouldn't recomment the Master for Focal Utopia based on price difference with Grand which is only $100 (unless I'm wrong). With $4K headphones, and once again this is only my personnal opinion, were are in kind of a special context. And if had I choose to buy from lavricables, I wouldn't "save" $100 and decide to let part of the potential of my headphone unexployed.

Once again, it is my personnal opinion.

But there are thousands of cable I wouldn't recommend even without having heard them on the Utopia.

But you didn't complain when one wrote
"$1200 hahaha, fools and their money and all that but by all means you wanna spend 1200 on something Lavricables can do for 400 be my guest not my money being burnt." without having listened to the dancables lazuli on the Utopia. Do you cinsider that this assertion wwas fair ?

And yes I have a question : why is silk sleeving available for the Master Utopia cable (for not a lot of money : $12) and no sleeving is available for the Grand Line Utopia. Does il alter sound ?

Jul 26, 2018 at 5:27 AM Post #34 of 38
Can anyone help me?

I am looking for an adapter which allows me to use a double helix cables prion4 cable,
which is terminated in abyss ab1266 mini Xlr plugs,
with focal utopia headphones.

Dhc make such an adapter, but is is expensive, and they have not replied to the two emails that I have sent them, in which I asked for the total length of the adapter which plugs into the utopia headphones.

Thank you for any help.

Apr 9, 2019 at 3:01 PM Post #35 of 38
This is Vishy from India, I am looking for a softer cable (compared to the stock one sooner which is hard at) within 200$ for my Focal Elegia! I am confused between Lavricables, Junkosha from ve and one from Arctic cables! Can you guys please suggees which would be the best for me! I am looking for something which can be easily managed and makes the details on the Elegia a bit crisper!

Regards,
Vishy

Jan 12, 2020 at 11:22 PM Post #36 of 38
Has anyone tried a Lavricables silver cable and also a Norne / Toxic Cables / Forza Audioworks cable and can compare their sound quality? Any comparison between the sound quality of these cables would be really helpful. I've been considering buying a Lavricables cable and trying to choose between these options.

Jan 15, 2020 at 12:11 AM Post #37 of 38
Can anyone help me?

I am looking for an adapter which allows me to use a double helix cables prion4 cable,
which is terminated in abyss ab1266 mini Xlr plugs,
with focal utopia headphones.

Dhc make such an adapter, but is is expensive, and they have not replied to the two emails that I have sent them, in which I asked for the total length of the adapter which plugs into the utopia headphones.

Thank you for any help.

This comes a bit late, but try Sean on eBay in his AffinityCable shop - great short adapters which do not alter the sound.

Jan 15, 2020 at 7:37 AM Post #38 of 38
Hoegaardener70

Thank you for the help, much appreciated.

I bought an excellent connection cable from TED ALLEN, some time ago.

He was a pleasure to deal with. A very high quality cable, at a reasonable cost.
I will keep a record of sean at AffinityCable for the future.

pity that there is nobody, that i know of, in the united kingdom, so that i do not have to pay the tax and extra customs charges, which really bump the price up.

your help is much appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back