Focal Utopia 2022- Is It Worth the upgrade?
Sep 16, 2022 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

flippant1

100+ Head-Fier
Hello All. Even with the best discounts at dealers, the new Utopia is still well over $4000. The 2020 Utopia is selling for a minimum of $1000 less if you look in the right places as of today. Many of you at CanJam SoCal or near a dealer may have heard of the new Utopia. I am sure many of those people are owners of previous versions.

My question to you all: Is it worth the upgrade and is it worth the price difference if you are considering buying a new or practically new 2020 Utopia package at a thousand $ less or more?

Probably the price difference for most will be depending on where you purchase and if you are lucky.
The wider headband looks seriously good and the improvements are significant but incremental. This is an evolution of the Utopia IMHO and not a brand new revision. I still own a pair of Focal Clear OG and never cared for the tuning of the MG. Wondering about Utopia sound. I still prefer the look of original. That's me.

I am excited to hear your thoughts as I am leaning toward a new 2020 package (again) for financial reasons -
Your thoughts may change my mind and I am most anxious to hear them.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2022 at 5:15 PM Post #2 of 3
Sep 16, 2022 at 5:41 PM Post #3 of 3
Absolutely superb video; It still begs the question which is a bit more subjective as there is a considerable price difference between these two headphones. I owned the Utopia 2020 and loved them and I now own the LCD-5. The first Utopia sale helped finance the LCD-5. However, for fun listening, Now I want them back. I found Utopia superior to me for easy listening. The LCD-5 can be incredible but is far more subject to the source material and is not forgiving as I found the 2020 Utopia.

For casual listening of a variety of tracks, I don't know that I always want something as defining. But this is all subjective. I am sure 2022 is incredible- just wondering what others' thoughts are as the value between these two incredible headphones is up to the listener.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back