Focal Spirit One for $149. Better than the M50x?
Sep 12, 2014 at 10:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

FunkDrummer

Head-Fier
I'm currently in the market for new headphones. I saw this headphone one sale for $149. Do they sound better than the M50x's? I am in the market for very mid centric headphones with punchy bass and sparkly yet non fatiguing highs. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:54 PM Post #2 of 6
The Focal Spirit One sells for a nice price now because they are going out of the market. They will be replaced by the Focal Spirit One S. That, it seems, corrects some issues with comfort (earcup size), sound and construction. The initial reviews are good. There are links to reviews in Focal's site. 

http://www.focal.com/en/mobile-headphones/510-spirit-one-s.html

I haven't listen to any Focal headphone (my Classic should be in the mail), but if you are in the market for one is good to know. Also, consider the Sennheiser Momentum, a great choice (for people with small ears) and seems to be close to what you are looking for.

Cheers!

Sep 12, 2014 at 10:57 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the feedback! I have had the chance to test out the Sennheiser Momentum over ears and I found them to phenomenal. Bass extension was deep and punchy and the highs were not bright but rise above the track. Vocals were really well pronounced and guitars sounded realistic and accurately portrayed, so the mids were better than I expected.

I just wish the price were cheaper, it's out of my budget range unfortunately. 

Sep 12, 2014 at 11:08 PM Post #4 of 6
You can find the Sennheiser Amperior for very little here in the forum, also a great choice. There is a guy selling a V-Moda M80 very cheap here in the forum, I never tried it, but if is close to its big brother, M100, should be great. The M100 has A LOT of bass. But that deal of Focal Spirit One for $149 seems good also.

Oct 9, 2014 at 3:34 PM Post #5 of 6
Bump

The height of my ears is a bit over 6 cm and i was wondering if the spirit one would be comfortable for me, as i intend to use them for very long listening sessions.

@funkdrummer From the headroom graphs and innerfidelity reviews it seams like the spirit one will be easier to equalize, as their response is a bit less erratic, and the one thing you are likely to want to change is the overall tilt/balance between below and above 1k Hz. Though seems like the m50x are a safer and easier bet.

Also the shure srh840 might be worth looking at, can be found used in good condition for the same price as the other 2.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back