Focal owners in Australia innocent victims of acrimonious breakup
Aug 26, 2023 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

oldmate

1000+ Head-Fier
In what looks like a very bad breakup between the Australian distributor and reseller of Focal and Naim there has been a fire sale of sorts here in Australia with prices of Focal headphones being just ridiculous thus trashing the brand here in Australia and ruining any resale value for those who paid RRP and even the common "sale" price.

In addition the normal warranty on these headphones has been reduced and looks like being a messy and lengthy affair if something does go wrong. There has been no successor named with the distinct possibility that Focal headphones may not be available for purchase locally in the future.

https://addictedtoaudio.com.au/coll...s&pf_t_category=Category_Open-Back+Headphones

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #2 of 7
I was under the impression that consumer laws still required a retailer to provide one year warranty.

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 7
I was under the impression that consumer laws still required a retailer to provide one year warranty.
It is generally 2 years with the retailer in Australia. To be exact, there is no defined end date for high valued item. Not sure if Focal will be honouring the warranty if the 'rumours' are true. Also Utopia 2022's clearance price was $3,499 AUD but appears to be have been increased to $3,999.

Aug 27, 2023 at 10:08 AM Post #4 of 7
The prices are not ridiculous. They're close to what the wholesaler pays.

There's been recent discussion on the Utopia 2022 thread on head-fi in the Summit-fi Forum.

A2A have stated they will honour one year warranty. It will be a Consumers Affairs discussion after that. You can register on the Focal website for a two year warranty so that would provide at least 'some' paper evidence regarding the expected lifespan of the product that would fall under Consumer Affairs.

:deadhorse:

Aug 27, 2023 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Yeah I paid $450usd for the Radiance from them which is a ridiculous price even with warranty concerns in the future.

Aug 27, 2023 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 7
I recently had a very bad experience with A2A concerning a DOA
The matter was not resolved until I requested PayPal intervene
A2A were for many years my preferred source
Not any more

Aug 28, 2023 at 7:02 AM Post #7 of 7
This incident trashing the brand not only in Aus but on a worldwide scale, cause things can be shipped to every corner of the world with ease nowadays, and this taught me no matter how much you love the headphone from Focal, DO NOT buy them when it newly released, wait a year or two then you can get it with half price.
(From a guy who purchased the Utopia 22 a month after its release)

But the utopia sounds really awesome tho.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back