Focal Listen Pro question
Apr 7, 2023 at 4:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jvandyk

100+ Head-Fier
I'm thinking about a pair of Focal Listen headphones(Wired). I discovered two different versions though>
1.) Black ear cushions/silver earcups (Yes this is a wired model not the wireless)
2.) Red ear cushions/trim, black earcups most often shown.

Are these actually two different models? Thanks for the replies!
PS- Any feedback on these would be great too!

Focal-Listen-2.jpg

listen-professional.png

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #2 of 9
Yes, they are different. Weirdly the non-pro black and silver pair are more neutral and natural sounding. Also the red pads wear out really fast. These really should be demoed, comfort is very hit or miss user to user because the ear pads aren’t very big.

Apr 7, 2023 at 5:58 PM Post #3 of 9
Yes, they are different. Weirdly the non-pro black and silver pair are more neutral and natural sounding. Also the red pads wear out really fast. These really should be demoed, comfort is very hit or miss user to user because the ear pads aren’t very big.
Thanks for the feedback and answer! I see these are in your list of former headphones. I'm assuming the cushions are replaceable with others on both versions. Also, the Red/Pro version comes with an 2nd longer cable. Doesn't look like they can be used with a balanced/xlr connection?

Apr 7, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 9
The pads are replaceable but I could never find anyone that sold them when I had them. The case and extra cable were nice with the pros but I don’t think they can be run balanced.

Apr 10, 2023 at 7:20 AM Post #5 of 9
You can find spare pads here : https://fr.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...rchText=focal+listen&spm=a2g0o.home.1000002.0

No balanced with Listen Lineup (Normal / Pro / Wireless).

I think both of them (Normal and Pro ) are neutral , but differently :
  • Normal Listen have a normal sound presentation (meaning close to speaker), with good layering , spatialization , level of detail and bass fidelity (not like th Bathys ...);
  • Pro (to me) go beyond that and does not reproduce what you can here when listening to speaker. You hear litteraly everything , very easily , with no effort , layering is better , level of detail take advantage of the layering and spatialization is desktop class (great amount of space between instrument ...). And Bass are here , and they are as they should : nothing more , but nothing less.

Apr 10, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 9
You can find spare pads here : https://fr.aliexpress.com/w/wholesa...rchText=focal+listen&spm=a2g0o.home.1000002.0

No balanced with Listen Lineup (Normal / Pro / Wireless).

I think both of them (Normal and Pro ) are neutral , but differently :
  • Normal Listen have a normal sound presentation (meaning close to speaker), with good layering , spatialization , level of detail and bass fidelity (not like th Bathys ...);
  • Pro (to me) go beyond that and does not reproduce what you can here when listening to speaker. You hear litteraly everything , very easily , with no effort , layering is better , level of detail take advantage of the layering and spatialization is desktop class (great amount of space between instrument ...). And Bass are here , and they are as they should : nothing more , but nothing less.
That's good to hear about these. Thank you! I really don't want a v shaped sounding/bass heavy set like the Meze 99's. And I read the Elegia has a funky FR too, even though they seem like a great deal right now. I do have the JDS Labs EQ. Sounds like the Pro version is worth the extra $50 plus you get the hard case and extra long 2nd cable. I suppose it's down to Listen Pro/Elegia, Senn 650/6XX, HiFiman Sundara and Emotiva GR1 (which are $100 off right now). Random other sets are AT M50x and AKG K371's.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #7 of 9
Elegia is the total opposite of Meze 99, totally neutral (no bass boost or whatever).

Sources are also very important.
Topping DX7 Pro (Elegia) and Topping G5 (Listen Pro) are both neutral , and so , you listen to your music , nothing less.

Apr 11, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #8 of 9
Elegia is the total opposite of Meze 99, totally neutral (no bass boost or whatever).

Sources are also very important.
Topping DX7 Pro (Elegia) and Topping G5 (Listen Pro) are both neutral , and so , you listen to your music , nothing less.
That's good to know. Seen differing opinions on Elegia. They sure are discounted a bunch right now. I have a new Topping L50 amp. Should drive either fine. I notice you have the Listen Pro as your avatar!

Apr 12, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #9 of 9
Radiance and Celestee have both bass boost , and are less neutral than Elegia.
Same thing with Clear MG / MG Pro , regarding original Clear / Clear Pro.

That is why a lot of people , including me , regret this change of sound presentation from Focal, and still prefer the previous gen'.

Yes , it's Listen Pro , and i also have a spare unit , just in case :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back