Focal Listen Impressions and Review
Aug 7, 2016 at 5:31 PM Post #16 of 226
I personally have not heard the momentum's enough to really make a fair comparison, however I can say the Focal is not nearly as V shaped, certainly not bassy.  

I have not heard the Listen or M2, but I owned the Focal Spirit Professional and original MOMENTUM. The Spirit Pro beats the pants off the MOMENTUM, and going from the impressions on this thread, the Listen seems to be akin to the Spirit Pro but more neutral.

Thanks, when I'm ready to upgrade my portable setup, I'll be getting these to try out for myself.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:07 PM Post #17 of 226
I have not heard the Listen or M2, but I owned the Focal Spirit Professional and original MOMENTUM. The Spirit Pro beats the pants off the MOMENTUM, and going from the impressions on this thread, the Listen seems to be akin to the Spirit Pro but more neutral.

I have the Momentums and like them, are the Spirit Pros that much better? I probably have more IEMs than headphones, so I have been eying the Focal Sphear.

Aug 17, 2016 at 7:40 PM Post #18 of 226
I have the Momentums and like them, are the Spirit Pros that much better? I probably have more IEMs than headphones, so I have been eying the Focal Sphear.

Let me put it this way: I didn't like the MOMENTUM very much and liked the Spirit Pro quite a bit. However, I think the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is far superior in pretty much every way, and at a lower price too. Not sure where the Listen would factor into all that without hearing it first.

Aug 17, 2016 at 10:37 PM Post #19 of 226
Let me put it this way: I didn't like the MOMENTUM very much and liked the Spirit Pro quite a bit. However, I think the Yamaha HPH-MT220 is far superior in pretty much every way, and at a lower price too. Not sure where the Listen would factor into all that without hearing it first.

Okay, I was about to pull the trigger on the NAD VISO HP50, but you have given me another good one to investigate. Thank you.

Aug 18, 2016 at 10:53 AM Post #20 of 226
Okay, I was about to pull the trigger on the NAD VISO HP50, but you have given me another good one to investigate. Thank you.

At the current MSRP the Focal Listen is very good.  For once I actually agree with the MSRP of a headphone!  Having said that, if it does not align with your listening preferences than you may not enjoy as much as I have.  I wish I could compare them too all the headphones mentioned prior but I cannot offer a fair comparison on any of them as I do not have them in my possession and it has been some time since I have listened to the momentum's.  

What I can say is that I recall the momentum's sounding thick and congested, whereas the Listen has great separation, but an intimate soundstage.

I hope this helps in some way! 

Oct 16, 2016 at 1:52 AM Post #21 of 226
I have FL since Thursday. IMO they are much better bulit than Spirit Pro (remember these bail cracks folks). I used to have FSP, but I returned them to the seller, when bail cracked in two places (Focal admitted this as a factory fault).

Listen in minus:
1) lack of long cable (FSP had two cables in box),
2) controller on stock cable doesn't work with my DAP.

In plus:
Fenomenal sound - they play just like some kind of semi-open AKG headphones, not like closed ones.
FSP and Spirit Classic way behind them.

Still burning them with white noise, already good synergy with iBasso DX80.

Oct 16, 2016 at 3:08 AM Post #22 of 226
The review of the Listen sounds a LOT like the way i would describe my focal spirit pros. Perhaps the highs are a little refined and not quite as vibrant (not edgy) as the fsp.

Based on the review here i wont need to buy a pair tonight since i have the fsp which im a huge fan of. But i shall listen to a pair when they arrive at my local store

Oct 30, 2016 at 5:57 PM Post #24 of 226
Just to clear this up , the Listens cups are chrome plated

If you are asking if they are, then yes they are. They certainly give the appearance of being metal but are indeed chrome plated. 

Nov 13, 2016 at 10:37 AM Post #26 of 226
Anyone noticed the bass kinda disappearing after abt 100hrs? From the beginning I already thought the bass wasn't exactly even. It was generally quite bass-light, at times with some random lower sub-bass rumbles (light rumble, not strong). Then after letting it run for ~100hrs, the overall bass seems to have further diminished. So now there are thuds here and there such that the music is not say entirely bass-less. It's just that they roll off so much I couldn't really "find" them now.

Nov 13, 2016 at 11:39 AM Post #27 of 226
Anyone noticed the bass kinda disappearing after abt 100hrs? From the beginning I already thought the bass wasn't exactly even. It was generally quite bass-light, at times with some random lower sub-bass rumbles (light rumble, not strong). Then after letting it run for ~100hrs, the overall bass seems to have further diminished. So now there are thuds here and there such that the music is not say entirely bass-less. It's just that they roll off so much I couldn't really "find" them now.

I have had no such issues with mine, never have been bass heavy, but certainly not anemic like you seem to suggest.

Dec 1, 2016 at 4:10 AM Post #29 of 226
Hello fellow Head-Fiers :)

So i bought them and received them about 3 days ago. I always knew about focal and heard about their new set of headphones Elear and Utopia and saw, that there is also a new headphone called simply the listen. I really liked the design and the Titan-Mylar-Driver really sparked my curiosity. 

From my first impression from the first 3 days with them, they are very, very good. I never had headphone that had this much clarity and midrange presence / accuracy. The highs can get a bit sharp, but in most songs the treble is just very nice. Its not harsh and it extends far with no peaks. These are no basshead headphones but the bass has a really good quality to it. The mids are my favorite part of these so far.. very very clear and transparent and i gotta say, i never heard such a nice midrange from any headphone so far.

These definitely deserve more attention and impressions! Also, the earpads are easily replaceable which is a big stepup to their old Focal line!

It would be lovely if some more people would get them and post impressions
L3000.gif

Dec 1, 2016 at 8:00 PM Post #30 of 226
  Hello fellow Head-Fiers :)

So i bought them and received them about 3 days ago. I always knew about focal and heard about their new set of headphones Elear and Utopia and saw, that there is also a new headphone called simply the listen. I really liked the design and the Titan-Mylar-Driver really sparked my curiosity. 

From my first impression from the first 3 days with them, they are very, very good. I never had headphone that had this much clarity and midrange presence / accuracy. The highs can get a bit sharp, but in most songs the treble is just very nice. Its not harsh and it extends far with no peaks. These are no basshead headphones but the bass has a really good quality to it. The mids are my favorite part of these so far.. very very clear and transparent and i gotta say, i never heard such a nice midrange from any headphone so far.

These definitely deserve more attention and impressions! Also, the earpads are easily replaceable which is a big stepup to their old Focal line!

It would be lovely if some more people would get them and post impressions
L3000.gif

I think they are certainly an unsung headphone.  They are one of the true, none bass head portable headphones that I can think of.  I personally think they are styled very well and very well built.

I agree with your impressions (as you may already know based on my review) that the sweet spot for these headphones is the superb vocals and mids.  They are full-bodied but detailed. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back