Focal JM lab Chorus 706s, any thoughts?
Feb 9, 2012 at 1:21 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

imakuzim

New Head-Fier

Hello, 
I already ordered the AMP Dayton DTA-100A but still lost on which speaker to buy.
Initially I though my budget for speaker is 200$ but finally decided I could stretch maximum of 600$.

Yes, more speaker to decide from but before we get into that, I don't live in the states and I only plan to buy the speaker locally.
Speakers here are very limited.

I stumbled into this shop who's speaker brands unknown to me as far as my research goes.
Its the Focal JM Lab Chorus 706s. pictures below.
http://theartofsound.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13900

It's sold to me for 581$ with the stand on the pic above and is a 2nd hand product.
Please note that its impossible to have same price here than in the states, it always more expensive. And the difference of the US/local price stretch further the more expensive the product gets.

I auditioned it and so far it is the best speaker I've ever heard.
I might even decided to settle at it, so before that, I need your thoughts too about this.

Other products are:
Era D4 for 627$ brand new.
Polk speaker - which was initially what I planned to settled at - the TSi 100. -  230$
TSi 200 - 348$
300 -  488$
RTi A3 - 488$.
Wharfedale speakers - 10.1 - 230$
 10.7 - 488$

Is it fine with my amp?
Any pros and cons with the 706s?
Could have had a better deal for the price?
Please note that the product is 2nd hand but in good condition and comes with the stand. I might also buy a subwoofer if that helps.
I use it always for gaming/music and movies which are all near field but might also use it for some parties.

Please share your thoughts on this speaker.

Feb 11, 2012 at 11:56 AM Post #2 of 3
Which country are you in? While Focal produce some nice speakers, I'd be looking at the Era's myself at that price. I think you're better off buying 2nd hand if your country has a decent audio market - in Australia you can get 816S's for sale at $1000 second hand, so I think the price is too high!

Feb 12, 2012 at 11:17 PM Post #3 of 3

Quote:
Which country are you in? While Focal produce some nice speakers, I'd be looking at the Era's myself at that price. I think you're better off buying 2nd hand if your country has a decent audio market - in Australia you can get 816S's for sale at $1000 second hand, so I think the price is too high!

Hi I'm from Philippines. Would that mean Era D4 is a better speaker technically? I actually auditioned both and seems like the Chorus 706s had better sound. Though the reason behind could also be due to brand new speakers need some time to sound better???

Users who are viewing this thread

Back