Focal Elegia....a mistake?
Apr 20, 2019 at 1:07 PM Post #16 of 20
I owned the Elear. Though they sounded super fast and dynamic, it soon wore on me. Listening fatigue settled in in about 35 minutes every time I put them on. Not to mention their uncomfortable clamping force. The Sony MDRZ1R are super comfy too but a bit to bloated sounding for me. Beyer DT1770 are way too bass heavy but super comfy. Again for me, the Aeon C just seems to work well. It checks off all the boxes.

listening volumes will also affect (or effect? not sure) your impressions when i'm trying a headphone i push the volume past my usual listening volume, my usual listening volumes is very very low especially to the AVG person here, with a el cheapo SPL meter shoved in my headphones sandwiched between 乇乂ㄒ尺卂 ㄒ卄丨匚匚 foam, my listening volumes are around 55-58 Db(A) pretty sure it's close to accurate because whenever i let someone put my headphones on they end up turning the volume way up, i'm never bothered by ringing or peaky frequencies, the only thing that triggers a red flag for me is sucked out mid-range.

Apr 20, 2019 at 3:23 PM Post #17 of 20
I owned the Elear. Though they sounded super fast and dynamic, it soon wore on me. Listening fatigue settled in in about 35 minutes every time I put them on. Not to mention their uncomfortable clamping force. The Sony MDRZ1R are super comfy too but a bit to bloated sounding for me. Beyer DT1770 are way too bass heavy but super comfy. Again for me, the Aeon C just seems to work well. It checks off all the boxes.
I didn't find Z1R bloated, but bass a bit diffused with large quantity spacially, not dense or much damped. It's pretty clear sounding to me in general as the mids didn't sound all that warm or the lower portion of upper-mids that full sounding. I just found the upper-mids to lack some tonal layering.

I see bloating as something like the Beats Studio 3 wireless does when you play warm music. It's lower mids rise causes bloat that covers up the mids sound. Z1R on the other hand doesn't sound to do that.

I find Elegia under-performing and Focals generally pushing the retail price much higher beyond their performance worth. If Elegia was decently priced, I may see it differently, but at $900 I will be a bit critical

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2019 at 5:41 AM Post #18 of 20
The Elegia are a good pair of cans, but quite expensive for what they offer. If i were you(if possible) try the Sony z7m2 or Campfire Cascade. Both are good and below that price.

As for portability with your iphone xr, the elegia would be terrible. They're not really made for outside portability as they advertise. Theyre huge looking, let sound come in, and the cable is awful when tucked into a coat connected to a device or plugged into your amp in your bag. The cable is stiff and sticks out so much, its not complaint.

The only way i could see the elegia being "portable" is if you brought them to work or school and used them only indoors at your desk.

Trust me, ive borrowed the elegia for an entire week via a friend. The sound is nice but expensive when you try others with a similar sound signature.

Also i have tried the elear, clear, utopia and stellia. And i only liked the elegia, clear and stellia. The elear wasnt great, and the utopia was underwhelming for the amount of praise people d reviews give them.

May 9, 2019 at 3:55 AM Post #19 of 20
Better depends on personal taste and we also hear differently, so you really have to try them. They don't seem better but I could add the K872 to the list if you prefer more bass or the T5p 2nd if you favour soundstage, but this comes at the expense of something else. The Pioneer SE Monitor 5 with the original synthetic leather earpads or the Dekoni sheepskin (didn't like them much with the default velour pads) are probably a more balanced package than the Elegia. All of them are easily driven.
as

What's funny is that I also considered the SE Masters and K872s too. Im kinda glad that there are many around here like the same cans that I'm looking at. In this hobby it's hard to focus with so many choices..and it's good to pair the list down to a few good cans and work at auditioning them

May 9, 2019 at 3:58 AM Post #20 of 20
Yeah,I'm at a point where I'm not a fan of b listed bass or similar treble. Trying to find my goldilocks zone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back