Focal Elear vs Hifiman Edition X V2
Jan 27, 2017 at 4:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

OmegaSA

New Head-Fier
Hi All

I've read many posts regarding each of these headphones. I just purchased the hex v2 but I'm intrigued by the elear style and what they purportedly sound like. I'm new to the hifi world, but the hex v2 sound great out of my oppo ha2se. My question is, if you had to have one all-rounder, which of the two would you choose? Please answer from the perspective of only being able to listen to one set of cans (though I know I'll certainly buy more in the future).

Many thanks in advance!

Mar 9, 2017 at 10:33 PM Post #3 of 11
I'm very biased since I own the Focal Elear, but I think it is easily the best headphone available new for $1000. The only other headphone that can compete in its price range is the HD800, and even then, it depends on whether you like your sound thicker or thinner. Build quality wise, comparing the Elear to any Hifiman product is like comparing a Tesla to a Fiat; the Elear just feels like a bulletproof work of art in comparison to anything else. Soundwise, if musicality and dynamism are your thing, no other full size open back can deliver what the Elear offers. Smooth yet detailed highs, gorgeously immersive mids, tight and impactful bass that extends farther down than an open back dynamic driver should be able to reach. It's not that picky about source or amplification either; my phone, a Xiaomi Mi5, can drive it very well. It doesn't overly flatter bad recordings, but it doesn't make you wince as soon as a crappily mastered song starts playing. If technicalities such as soundstage and surgical imaging are your thing, go for the HD800, for everyone else, there's the Elear.

Aug 22, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #4 of 11
Maybe a tad late in weighing in here, but here it goes. I've had the Elear for about 2 1/2 months, and just last week I bought the Edition X V2. I honestly didn't think I'd be so impressed with the V2, but I've been blown away. The XV2 cost about $200 more, but I think that overall they sound SO much better – richer sound, deeper soundstage, and great with every source I've thrown at them... though the pairing of iFi Micro iDSD Black Label with FiiO X5 2nd Gen (via coax) is a gem. Don't get me wrong, the Elear are impressive cans... but there's something not quite right, and it's the pushy midrange. My fave planars have been MrSpeakers Ether Flow, but the XV2 are my new #1.

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 11
extensively heard both ... would choose the HEX V2 hands down for my taste

Aug 22, 2017 at 8:21 PM Post #6 of 11
Yep. Easily the V2 over the Elear. Had both at the same time and it was an easy choice.

Sep 16, 2017 at 11:55 AM Post #8 of 11
I don´t think this is fair comparison cause Elear cost like 999€ and HEX V2 1800€.
More fair would be compare HE-560 to Elear.
Which one you take in that case?

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #9 of 11
not a fair comparison, elear is the best at it's price range, current discount make it a no brainer as well ($699)

Aug 7, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #10 of 11
Thank you very much for the reviews. I do want to upgrade and wonder if any has good outcome with tube or tube hybrid. That may help with forward midrange. I have HE400i and like the sound but it misses the punch and dynamics I like in certain music that I enjoyed with Senn 6XX . Focal should not be hard to drive as planar right?

Aug 7, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #11 of 11
The HEX V2 is, by far, the superior headphone to the Elear. And since it’s planar with low impedance and high sensitivity, it will also be just as easy to drive because planars have a flat impedance curve. Also, the Elear has a terribly unnatural/sucked out midrange. In my opinion, the Elear would be a downgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back