Focal Elear Review
Jun 30, 2018 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

NickJ

New Head-Fier
Having recently acquired (and then traded) a pair of Focal Elear headphones I decided I should write a little review, comparing it with the other headphones I have on hand. Namely, the Hifiman He560 and the Fostex th-X00, both headphones I think are quite good. I listened to all three headphones through a Schiit Bifrost and Asgard 2.

Comfort: Comfort is a big deal to me, and for me the 560s are still one of the most comfortable headphones I have used. The Elears are less comfortable to me, but not uncomfortable. The headphone band has some nice memory foam in it that molds over time, but it is definitely less comfortable immediately, in part because they are weighty. The X00s are light and are somewhere in the middle for comfort despite their headband being less well constructed.

Efficiency: I mostly listen through the Asgard 2 which has plenty of power on tap, but for those interested, in order or most to least sensitive: X00>Elear>560

Highs: The Elear highs are quite nice and balanced, which I worried they might not be given the frequency response measurements I have seen. Gives a nice little sense of shimmer, without being aggravating.

Mids: The Elear mids are a little muted. This can be a pro or a con depending on the music. There are definitely some agitating voices that this tames. Voices that already tend towards dullness are even more so. The 560s are definitely the best of the three here.

Bass: The Elears do bass well. It goes almost as deep as the 560s but with significantly better impact. The base quality is excellent (no mud here), but honestly, the impact was slightly too much for me. People say these headphones are dynamic, and I am inclined to say this is a understatement. These might be the MOST dynamic sounding headphones I have had on hand. While this was excited on many tracks, it was ultimately not a relaxing experience. I have never been fatigued by bass before, and this might have been a first. With that said, I did enjoy it quite a bit most of the time. Ultimately I find myself liking the bass on the X00s best of the headphones I have on hand, and of the ones I have had, I like the audeze LCD headphones (Weighty and textured bass).

Conclusion: Cool headphones (especially for their used price right now) for someone who likes to really FEEL their bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back