Focal Elear and which amp?
Aug 3, 2017 at 11:08 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

oppman99

Head-Fier
Hello all. I've been lurking here since May when I picked up a pair of Elears. I've been into good audio for the last decade and have done the gear and speaker carousel with things constantly coming and going in the search for the next improvement. I've made the decision to get off the carousel and am reasonable happy with what I have. Plus, my wallet can't handle it with the level of gear I'm currently at. Unfortunately, my wife gets migranes and that is what led me to headphones.

My history with cans: I had a pair of Shure 840's a number of years back, but found them uncomfortable due to my ears getting warm, so they are long gone. The experience make me think I wasn't a headphone guy. I had no problems with iem's (Klipsch x10i and Shure se530). Fast forward to about 6 months ago and I picked up a pair of Sennheiser 558's for dirt cheap to see if open back cans would work for me. The Senn's were super comfortable and didn't roast my ears. The problems is they weren't up to my standards for audio quality. I still have them and plan to do the mods and use them at work. After reading all the positive reviews and getting some feedback from a friend who tried the Elears at AXPONA, I picked up a pair on the used market. They sound good being driven by a Marantz 8801, but I knew it wasn't doing them justice so I started reading about amps.

My experience with head amps: There are few b&m places that stock head amps in eastern WI. Had to drive an hour just to find anything. Loaded up my laptop (using JRiver and WAV files), Wyred4Sound DAC2 and cables and off I went. I was able to audition 3 amps. First up was the Teac ha-501. A persistent low level hiss ruined this one for me. It wasn't that loud, but I know it would bother me long term. Next up was the Audeze Deckard. I liked the clarity and power compare to the Teac, but it was a little steely at times and didn't draw me in. Last up was a used Burson Conductor SL V1. The Burson really let the Elears showcase the speed they are known for and had me tapping my foot with every song. I really, really liked the speed. There's always a but.....the highs seemed to be a little off, but I couldn't quite place my finger on it (tonality maybe?) and I wouldn't mind just a little more body in the mid-range. Chicago seems to be the nearest place for group meet-ups and I will keep my eyes open for anything closer, but my options to audition other gear is a bit limited. Worst case scenario, I make another trip to AXPONA next spring. Unfortunately I wasn't into cans the last time I went.

So this is where you guys and gals come in. My musical tastes are all over the board. Mostly rock and classic rock, but lots of blues, a little jazz and folk ect. My collection includes 50's to present, mostly redbook but some hi-rez and approximately 250 vinyl albums. I am basically looking for two different recommendations. For short term, I am leaning towards a Burson Soloist SL based on my limited auditions. Is there anything I should be considering in the sub $1k range that would better the Burson? I prefer musical over analytical and I'm in love with the speed of the Burson. Second, I know I will want an endgame amp at some point. I don't have any plans to add a stable of headphones in the future (I know, plans always change) but I really like the Elears. In the sub $2k range the Wells Audio Milo in on my radar but probably just over what I am comfortable spending. Open to other slightly less expensive options for long term. I know listening for myself is best, but I am not familiar with many of the good head amp brands so I need a little direction. System chain will be Computer > Sonore Signature Rendu > W4S DAC2 via I2S > amp.

Thanks for taking the time to read through my lengthy post.

Aug 4, 2017 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 12
I have a few suggestions for you based on years of experience like yours. I think you can do better than the Burson. To me the Bursons sound good but a bit analytical and lacking a bit of dynamics, a bit flat and boring if you will. That said they are decent amps. I have heard the Elear and like the signature. I did get a chance to hear it with the Elekit TU8200. It is a fantastic amp with no goopey rolled off highs or slow speed. Clean, dynamic as all get out and rather neutral. I like it a lot. Only problem is it is a kit. But built ones come up for decent prices occasionally.

Another possibility is the Moljnir 2 although a bit over your budget. I think it is very good overall and certainly quick, but prefer the smoothness and delicacy of the highs on the Elekti a bit more. Another Scvhiit amp that Iike is the Lyr 2. Great sound, reasonable price and leaps better than high priced stuff like Violectric and SPL.

The only problem is getting to hear any of these. Perhaps a shout out to local WI folks in the meet forum, will yield a few folks willing to let you hear a few of these amps.

You have great sources and should be able to attain a very high level of reproduction.

Aug 6, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #3 of 12
Thanks for the input. I agree that I can do better than the Burson. It would only have been a temporary stepping stone. Spent the last two days reading up on the two recommendations you gave. Have to say I wasn't initially thinking tubes. I have minimal experience with them. I owned a Rogue Audio Perseus for a while. Tried some Electroharmonex tubes, but I was a bit overwhelmed with all the choices for tubes. The Elekit looks very interesting and it looks like I could order a finished one. I could put one together, but the time factor and the fact that my eyes aren't as good for soldering as they used to be. The Mjolinir's flexibility is tempting too. Being able to have a reference for how tubes change the sound could be useful. Too bad I didn't ask for advice sooner, as I see both of these amps have sold on the used market in the last month or so.

I will ask about local opportunities in the meet up forum.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:10 AM Post #6 of 12
Bump..... I'm in the same boat. Just picked up some Elear's and looking for a good enough amp to enjoy them until I have enough cash to buy a great amp.

I have had a number of lower cost amps lately and feel the Magni3 is a very nice choice not only for the money but can compete with some $450 amps. Should do fine with the Elear. Just feed the amp with a good dac and you should be good.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:53 AM Post #7 of 12
Ya. The Magni was on the list but was leaning more towards the Vali 2 for few extra $$ to get some tube sound. I don't have a decent DAC yet and general consensus (from many but definitely not all) is the Bitfrost is hard to beat for the cost.

Nov 19, 2017 at 11:10 AM Post #8 of 12
Ya. The Magni was on the list but was leaning more towards the Vali 2 for few extra $$ to get some tube sound. I don't have a decent DAC yet and general consensus (from many but definitely not all) is the Bitfrost is hard to beat for the cost.

Bifrost is a good dac; but, you could start with mimby + magni 3| vali 2 start. It is good enough for a start.

Nov 19, 2017 at 12:32 PM Post #10 of 12

Not sure If I would add more warmth via tube sound and you will get some of that with the Vali2. Elears are very nice and already have feet in the warmish camp. Not sure I would want to move further in that direction. Magni is not an analytical, bright amp more neutralish and not quite as thick as the Vali2. Maybe the Vali2 can bring mids a bit more forward in the presence range than Magni3 (just going by memory with my 650s) but I do not think it is as transparent overall, nor as tight in the bass as M3. Both are very good amps, just different flavors.

Last edited:
Nov 19, 2017 at 12:49 PM Post #11 of 12
I ended up going with the Jot as a placeholder until I can get ears on some totl amps to find my personal endgame. Have to say I'm not in a hurry to drop big $$$ at the moment because I am really enjoying the Jot/Elear combo. From everything I have read, the Magni3 is kind of a Jot "lite". For the price, I think it is hard to beat.

The other thing to think about is that if you go with a Vali2, you may end up spending more on tube rolling instead of saving for higher quality gear. Nothing necessarily wrong with that, just something to consider.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back