Focal Clear ....VS....Fostex TH900 MKII....VS....Klipsch HP-3
Feb 8, 2018 at 5:02 AM Post #17 of 35
Why would you get the clear or the fostex for that kind of music?? You'll be paying to hear things that don't really exist in that music (acoustic resonances, micro details from instruments, overtones etc), and you'll be missing part of what I imagine is the fun of that genre (heavy hitting bass). Save yourself some money and grab a pair of x2s, or th-x00s for that v-shape. Or if you have to pick one of these, definitely get the klipsch. Also consider zmf closed back headphones.

Feb 8, 2018 at 10:27 AM Post #18 of 35
Well, I am not too sure why? Which is what brought me here. I am a novice and for the most part there is NO store that carries this stuff to try out out.

Over in the "bass heavy cans" thread the TH900MKI/MKII are highly regarded as some of the best bass headphones you can get, albeit spendy. The focal has not been around too long, so it is hard to get a pulse on it but people are saying it is not as good for this genre and others seem to think it is ok?

I love the look of the Focal and Klipsch the Fostex in pics not so much, but who knows in person.

Feb 8, 2018 at 11:51 AM Post #19 of 35
Well, I am not too sure why? Which is what brought me here. I am a novice and for the most part there is NO store that carries this stuff to try out out.

Over in the "bass heavy cans" thread the TH900MKI/MKII are highly regarded as some of the best bass headphones you can get, albeit spendy. The focal has not been around too long, so it is hard to get a pulse on it but people are saying it is not as good for this genre and others seem to think it is ok?

I love the look of the Focal and Klipsch the Fostex in pics not so much, but who knows in person.

They will all make music sound great. But my point is that you can do just as good, for what you want, for a fraction of the price for your genre.

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:07 PM Post #20 of 35
I highly recommend you take your music to the store and listen to them with these pair of headphone.
Genre don't help you decide your headphone, your habit does. Same genre in different music will gave you different feeling, it is not right or wrong, it is just your own choice. You may like wide soundstage or you like the some in front of your face, these character will be different when you compare the headphone.
If you don't have any store around you like me, you should know at least list two major thing you prefer to listen. For example, I like good soundstage, also I like accurate pushy base, so I choose th900, maybe some people just like the bass "in your face" feeling, they will choose TH-x00 or others, but basically you need to listen, and know what you want.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2018 at 12:17 PM Post #21 of 35
I highly recommend you take your music to the store and listen to them with these pair of headphone.
Genre don't help you decide your headphone, your hobbit does. Same genre in different music will gave you different feeling, it is not right or wrong, it is just your own choice. You may like wide soundstage or you like the some in front of your face, these character will be different when you compare the headphone.
If you don't have any store around you like me, you should know at least list two major thing you prefer to listen. For example, I like good soundstage, also I like accurate pushy base, so I choose th900, maybe some people just like the bass "in your face" feeling, they will choose TH-x00 or others, but basically you need to listen, and know what you want.

Not all of us have a headphone hobbit telling us what to buy...

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:24 PM Post #23 of 35
as stated, it is nearly impossible to go to a place to listen to any of these.....There is a place for the Focal, but nothing else - as AFAIK

Seattle area - if someone knows of a one stop shop that has many different TOTL head phones then I would love to know!

Feb 8, 2018 at 12:36 PM Post #24 of 35
as stated, it is nearly impossible to go to a place to listen to any of these.....There is a place for the Focal, but nothing else - as AFAIK

Seattle area - if someone knows of a one stop shop that has many different TOTL head phones then I would love to know!

If you come up to Vancouver, there are a few places with the Focal, and also headphonebar will soon have the Klipsch. I really think the Klipsch is your best bet out of the three. Also you really should check out the AFO if you like macrodynamics and slam. While I agree that you do have to hear it for yourself to know what you like, I also think the type of music you enjoy will make an impact on what it is you enjoy from your headphones, and ultimately indicate which can you should get. If someone listens to exclusively black metal, I'd have a hard time recommending bass cannons or on the other side, anything overly detailed/revealing of flaws.

May 5, 2018 at 3:04 PM Post #25 of 35
I have had the M100s and now have the Crossfade 2 Wirelesses. I got a chance to sample the Focal Elear's at AXPONA last month. I can say that the bass was lacking IMO. M100s were nice, to my ears identical to the Crossfade 2's. However I didn't own them at the same time so it's hard to say.

I am very much leaning towards the TH900s due to the reviews on bass. If only there was a place to test them!

May 5, 2018 at 4:33 PM Post #26 of 35
If you want tons of bass, Cascade is an option. Also, Fostex TH-X00 Purple Hearts.

I have the Ebony, and that's sufficient bass for me, and I think electronic and pop sounds pretty nice with it, with smooth treble.

Focal Clear isn't a bass-head headphone, and bass will be different from Fostex wooden cupped headphone bass that provides extra low-end resonance or woofer sounds. The tonality, speed and the smooth upper frequencies, with good articulation is the draw. Not really the bass is a focus.

But, in general for EDM, I was impressed how Hifiman HE1000 makes EDM sounds so interesting, but it's not bassy, but tend to provide that EDM bass emphasis with very interesting planar sub-bass. It's imaging is most interesting for EDM, with interesting depth it adds(you probably won't hear such a level with any other headphone). Being a planar, it's quite fast in response as well. I would recommed HE1000 the most for electronic music.

Cascade and Fostex will be on the warm side in tonality, but not the Clear and HE1000. Clear has harder hitting bass than HE1000, but HE1000 sounds large in space and airy, with more of a subs emphasis, not as much as Cascade or Fostex(which generally has the greatest in bass quantity from mid bass to subs).

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2018 at 10:45 PM Post #27 of 35
So what’d you end up with? I’m looking at upgrading a THX00 to the Atticus, Eikon, or HP-3 right now. I’ve more or less eliminated the TH900 due to the supposedly inferior mids. Willing to take a small hit in the bass department for it.

Apr 26, 2019 at 2:35 PM Post #28 of 35
I also use and love the Sony WH1000MX2 for traveling, etc. To move up the ladder, I went with the Sony's big brother, the MDR-Z1R, which is the best all-around phone I've heard. Amazing bass and everything else.

However, the Fostex TH900mk2 sound so big, colorful, bold, and alive, they're next on my list.

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:12 AM Post #29 of 35
I have spent the last 5 hours researching these 3 best I can. I am torn. I listen to mostly Hip-Hop/Rap and EDM(Progressive House). I also listen to "chill" put you to sleep music as well about 20% of the time. From my research it sounds like the MKII have a good amount of base, which I love. The Focal *might* not be good as good for this? But am reading good things if they are driven well. The HP-3 are hard to find good reviews on but seem to be somewhere in the middle? It's hard to pinpoint the best for my music tastes.

The looks go to HP-3 -> Clear->MKII IMO. I love how the Focal come with a case - they all should imo.

I will be purchasing these with the Chord Mojo AND Poly, so I am in a sense, going all out.

Thank you for any input!
I listen to those genre as well, and I don't think recommending bass-head headphone is the correct recommendation always.

Depends on what one is looking for. I find those genre sound most good when the clarity is high with great dynamics with really precisely and tight slamming bass presence. I wouldn't recommend headphones with overly warm or loose sounding bass with large quantity.

Usually, these types of music benefits from a bit of energy and dynamics. More the precise driver control with very quick driver response, the better. This is more about amp's control of the driver for headphones of not much bass, but precise sound headphones, and still have the ideal sound to output EDM, etc.. really well.

Clear seems to me a good choice for modern genre music with a bit of energy. Club music, whatever have you.

I also can enjoy modern genre out of HE500 as it's response is quite vivid well suited for modern genre like the Clear.

So, clarity, separation, bass tightness are quite important in those genres. I prefer speedy and analytical.

Hifimans generally do electronics sound quite well.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2019 at 9:38 PM Post #30 of 35
I’ve owed TH-900 MKII’s and I currently own the HP-3’s. I haven’t heard the Clears as I own the Utopia’s. The TH-900’s as someone else said has a big, vibrant and dynamic sound. It’s also the most v-shaped of the three. They are good for hip-hop but they excel at other genres as well. For a closed/semi-closed headphone they are very open sounding. They can also be bright sounding on some tracks. The bass reaches deep. But it’s clean, layered with very good definition. But it can be exhausting because it ways present in large quantities.

Enter the HP-3’s. They are not as v-shaped as the TH-900’s. The have a more balanced sound with elevated bass and detailed highs. The highs don’t sound as strident as the TH-900’s. But yet they have excellent clarity. With Hip-Hop they are outstanding. The HP-3’s are more musical the TH-900’s because of it tuning and does well with just about any genre of music. Because the mids are more energetic they are a great fit for rock and heavy metal. Something the I would not listen to with the TH-900’s. The bass on the HP-3’s is just as deep but has a little more thump to it. Kick drums sound like kick drums should sound as the HP-3’s have a faster decay.

So the Klipsch gets my for Hip-Hop and seems the most versatile. If you’re curious about the Utopia’s. I’ll just say they are the most dynamic, fast, clear headphones I’ve have heard. The bass is also deep but it only turn on when called for. It’s not always present like the TH-900’s or HP-3’s. But it’s just as deep but not as extended as the other two. I’ve gotten the Utopia’s to bottom out on bass heavy songs at high volumes. I think is the size of the driver. The Utopia’s driver is a lot smaller than the other two. But I’m sure design has something to do with it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back