Focal Celestee (New Closed-Back Headphone)
Feb 15, 2021 at 3:04 PM Post #136 of 635
Well, his conclusion isn't that improbable, IMO. The Stellia is a great headphone, but in contrast to its contemporaries, I'd say that it is somewhat overpriced (for example, the AH-D9200 is $1,600, and the Vérité Closed is $2,500). The law of diminishing returns is obviously in effect here. With that being said, if the Celestee is able to encapsulate 80-90% of the magic of the Stellia in a cheaper (and prettier) body, it'll be a slam-dunk hit for Focal.
Yesterday, I was thinking in the VCs and their price and I realized that if the new Kennerton Rögnir fulfills what is promised, they will be a bargain for less than 3000 $... I'm eagerly wating for a comparison with the 9200s, VCs, Z1R, GH 50 (and JM edition, maybe by the people of the Kennerton thread) and also the Thekk. (sorry for the OT).

And for the people here, I think that the next Malevolent Celestee comparison with his TOTL closed cans (and also he is going to try the Radiance at shop, I've read that here) will be very interesting... A lot of work for you, my friend, when will you start charging for your work? (would be a manner to collect to buy other headphones you are interested :beerchug: ) I will start collecting votes for Malevolent to be at Headfonia or something similar...

Feb 15, 2021 at 3:11 PM Post #137 of 635
I am so very tempted, I'm sure I will enjoy them as much as the Clears but this hobby just takes so much money lol
You have very good headphones collection. And is real, this hobby empty our wallets. Like the people say here "Welcome to the forum and sorry for your wallet"

Preciosa tu foto de perfil (me encanta Pavarotti).

Feb 15, 2021 at 4:31 PM Post #138 of 635
You have very good headphones collection. And is real, this hobby empty our wallets. Like the people say here "Welcome to the forum and sorry for your wallet"

Preciosa tu foto de perfil (me encanta Pavarotti).
Muchas thanks! When you have no children/mortgage the money spent in this hobby is the best money spent ever! :beerchug::L3000:

Feb 15, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #140 of 635
The clear pro is the same version of silver clear. Just different accessories and color for pro use. I believe they will release a new clear to replace the current one. But you have to wait quite some time. It has been almost 5 years and they still haven't upgraded their utopia yet. Clear might be even longer.

Clear looks like it's getting upgraded very very soon. Theres already a pdf on the "clear mg pro" on the focal website. It uses magnesium drivers rather than the aluminium-magnesium if the original cleats and has a honeycomb design on the earcups... Will be interesting to see how they can better the original clears. If they got for warmth and lose detail that would be a step back in my view, but I think the timbre of the clears does lack a bit of "naturalness" so that's an area where they could improve... Let's see

Feb 15, 2021 at 7:49 PM Post #141 of 635
Clear looks like it's getting upgraded very very soon. Theres already a pdf on the "clear mg pro" on the focal website. It uses magnesium drivers rather than the aluminium-magnesium if the original cleats and has a honeycomb design on the earcups... Will be interesting to see how they can better the original clears. If they got for warmth and lose detail that would be a step back in my view, but I think the timbre of the clears does lack a bit of "naturalness" so that's an area where they could improve... Let's see
Hard to know for sure, but my guess is that the only part of the sonic profile that will be different will be a little less zing in the treble due to the change in driver. Supposedly soundstage will be improved.

Feb 15, 2021 at 8:26 PM Post #142 of 635
My guess is larger soundstage and less metallic due to no more aluminium

Feb 15, 2021 at 9:25 PM Post #144 of 635
Hard to know for sure, but my guess is that the only part of the sonic profile that will be different will be a little less zing in the treble due to the change in driver. Supposedly soundstage will be improved.
My guess is larger soundstage and less metallic due to no more aluminium
Aluminum is soft metal and Focal chose to coat it with magnesium which is a strong light and is similar to crystal in structure and that alone will tell us a whole lot on what to be expected. Removing the aluminum in the equation, magnesium dome will be stronger more rigid that won't easily tear and will handle distortion very well. An even more detailed highs, more resolving mids and more defined low can be expected. Couple that with the widened ear cup and you will have an even more better separation and bigger soundstage.

That's at least how I would see it but then again... I could be wrong.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2021 at 1:37 AM Post #145 of 635
Yesterday, I was thinking in the VCs and their price and I realized that if the new Kennerton Rögnir fulfills what is promised, they will be a bargain for less than 3000 $... I'm eagerly wating for a comparison with the 9200s, VCs, Z1R, GH 50 (and JM edition, maybe by the people of the Kennerton thread) and also the Thekk. (sorry for the OT).

And for the people here, I think that the next Malevolent Celestee comparison with his TOTL closed cans (and also he is going to try the Radiance at shop, I've read that here) will be very interesting... A lot of work for you, my friend, when will you start charging for your work? (would be a manner to collect to buy other headphones you are interested :beerchug: ) I will start collecting votes for Malevolent to be at Headfonia or something similar...
I am very eager to pit the Celestee and the Radiance against each other. Thankfully, the new Focal should be arriving sometime this month; I'll take some time off at the end of the month to visit the store to have a go at them! I'll probably bring the Elegia down for a 3-way comparison. :)

As for the Rögnir.. that's a different story altogether. :wink:

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:34 AM Post #146 of 635
I am very eager to pit the Celestee and the Radiance against each other. Thankfully, the new Focal should be arriving sometime this month; I'll take some time off at the end of the month to visit the store to have a go at them! I'll probably bring the Elegia down for a 3-way comparison. :)

You'll be trying out both? I'm interested in the Radiance myself but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

Feb 16, 2021 at 6:39 PM Post #148 of 635

I look forward to this comparison.

Feb 16, 2021 at 9:05 PM Post #149 of 635
You'll be trying out both? I'm interested in the Radiance myself but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Yeah, I will, once the Celestee hits the local stores. I was quoted a mid-to-late February arrival date, so it should be arriving anytime now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back