Focal Bathys or B&W PX8 or ...?
Nov 26, 2022 at 3:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

arkfi

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I've been looking for the right wireless ANC headphones for a while now, and recent research brought me to choose between two final contenders: the Focal Bathys and the B&W PX8.

The Denon AH-D2000 being my favorites from the many headphones I ever tried (for those who don't know, they are discontinued mid-level basshead cans), I'm thinking the PX8 might sound better to my ear, but I do love a clear and detailed sound and from what I gather, the Bathys might be better in that respect. Basically, I loved the Denons because not only the bass was as rumbly and punchy as I'd ever experienced, but the mids and highs were crystal clear. Note that I've never tried cans above $500 so it's hard for me to tell just how much better it can get on either fronts.

Extra info: I did some research on new ANC headphones, and I'll admit I was originally interested in the Sennheiser Momentum 4 and the Sony XM5, but from what I hear, the sound quality isn't quite there. I would have loved the XM5's ANC and mic quality, though, so if I'm wrong about the sound quality/signature, please do let me know!

I'd appreciate any insight and advice as to which wireless ANC headphones are actually the right fit for me.
Thanks!

P.S.: I asked roughly the same question ~1.5 years ago when I was debating between the Bose 700 and the Sony XM4, and in the end I wasn't convinced any of the wireless ANC headphones on the market really fit the bill. The Bathys and PX8 both appear to fit the bill, and maybe even the XM5 if I were convinced that its sound quality isn't as bad as some say.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2022 at 7:29 PM Post #3 of 25
Have a look at the Mark Levinson No 5909
They would bust my budget. :frowning2: I also read that the Focal are better overall, but of course that's likely to be subjective.

Just to be sure, are you saying they would more closely match the sound signature of the D2000's? If that were the case, I might wait a bit until they fit in my budget. In the meantime I'll try and get more info about how they could meet my needs. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nov 27, 2022 at 8:47 PM Post #5 of 25
Nov 28, 2022 at 10:16 AM Post #6 of 25
Considering that you liked the sound Denon D2000 best, if you can separate the ANC with SQ, then get a Bose QC45 for the ANC and general travel sound use and EM-U Teak with JDS Atom plus amp as an upgrade to the D2000:

(2-4 year GeekSquad protection for heavy travel recommended)
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/bose-q...-smoke/6471288.p?skuId=6471288&ref=NS&loc=101

(Removable cable Teak recommended)
https://www.emu.com/order.html

https://jdslabs.com/product/atom-amp/
Thanks for the suggestion but I really want headphones that are great on their own. Otherwise I'd probably just go for XM5's for when I need wireless/ANC, and go for regular cans for quality listening. I want one pair that does both great, wherever I am.

One question that comes to mind is, considering I love the aesthetics and "prestige" of Focal and B&W, and therefore would lean towards those two options if they all sounded the same, is there any reason I should NOT go for those?

Additional piece of info about my needs (can't believe I didn't mention it already): I listen to just about any kind of music, including classical, but mainly spend time listening to EDM. Probably the best example of what I'm looking for is to actually feel the kicks and bass synth (with EQ if necessary) in the drop of Proxima by Skeler x Juche (around the 1:00 mark), while everything else sounds crystal clear. If someone has either the Bathys or PX8 and could put this to the test, that would be most helpful.

Thanks again!

Nov 30, 2022 at 7:23 PM Post #7 of 25
What's more important to you? The noise cancelling or the sound quality? If noise cancelling is more important, have you thought about getting the Apple Airpods Max?

These review videos might help you

Last edited:
Dec 1, 2022 at 8:27 AM Post #8 of 25
What's more important to you? The noise cancelling or the sound quality? If noise cancelling is more important, have you thought about getting the Apple Airpods Max?

These review videos might help you

I did watch many reviews, including most of these; that's how I boiled it down to Bathys vs. PX8. They both appear to do ANC decent enough for my needs, as well as having good enough mics. I'm here to find help deciding which one should sound better to my ears. I know sound quality-wise they're both great, but I also know there are other options, hence not closing the door on the possibility I end up with something else. When it comes to this final showdown-of-sorts, I'm more concerned about sound signatures being off-putting for the kind of music I mainly listen to, electronic. I love the Focal design much more than the PX8, so I'm a little biased on that front, but I heard in those reviews that they might not be the best choice for electronic music, that it might not be as fun to listen to than the PX8.

If someone has either or both the Bathys or PX8, impressions on how that "Skeler x Juche - Proxima" track sounds would probably be most helpful. It is my most listened track, going back to it every so often.

Thanks for the suggestions!

P.S.: I really don't like the design on the Airpods Max, not interested in those even if they were the best choice otherwise. The "fashion statement" is pretty important to me.

Dec 4, 2022 at 4:56 AM Post #12 of 25
Hi,

I've been looking for the right wireless ANC headphones for a while now, and recent research brought me to choose between two final contenders: the Focal Bathys and the B&W PX8.

The Denon AH-D2000 being my favorites from the many headphones I ever tried (for those who don't know, they are discontinued mid-level basshead cans), I'm thinking the PX8 might sound better to my ear, but I do love a clear and detailed sound and from what I gather, the Bathys might be better in that respect. Basically, I loved the Denons because not only the bass was as rumbly and punchy as I'd ever experienced, but the mids and highs were crystal clear. Note that I've never tried cans above $500 so it's hard for me to tell just how much better it can get on either fronts.

Extra info: I did some research on new ANC headphones, and I'll admit I was originally interested in the Sennheiser Momentum 4 and the Sony XM5, but from what I hear, the sound quality isn't quite there. I would have loved the XM5's ANC and mic quality, though, so if I'm wrong about the sound quality/signature, please do let me know!

I'd appreciate any insight and advice as to which wireless ANC headphones are actually the right fit for me.
Thanks!

P.S.: I asked roughly the same question ~1.5 years ago when I was debating between the Bose 700 and the Sony XM4, and in the end I wasn't convinced any of the wireless ANC headphones on the market really fit the bill. The Bathys and PX8 both appear to fit the bill, and maybe even the XM5 if I were convinced that its sound quality isn't as bad as some say.
Hey, I owned both and returned the Focal Bathys. Both have good sound, the Focal sounds slightly better. I returned the Bathys because it doesn't perform as a mobile headset - it performs as a desktop headset. The Bathys have a really annoying diaphragm pop every single time you take a step, which is very distracting from the music - so does the 5909. The PX8 doesn't have that problem and still sounds really good, especially though the B&W app. It also looks great, has decent noise cancelling, and performs like it's supposed to - as a mobile set of audiophile headphones. If you want really good sound quality while sitting down, get a desktop setup. Or, a good set of IEMs and a DAP.

Dec 5, 2022 at 12:46 PM Post #15 of 25
Hey, I owned both and returned the Focal Bathys. Both have good sound, the Focal sounds slightly better. I returned the Bathys because it doesn't perform as a mobile headset - it performs as a desktop headset. The Bathys have a really annoying diaphragm pop every single time you take a step, which is very distracting from the music - so does the 5909. The PX8 doesn't have that problem and still sounds really good, especially though the B&W app. It also looks great, has decent noise cancelling, and performs like it's supposed to - as a mobile set of audiophile headphones. If you want really good sound quality while sitting down, get a desktop setup. Or, a good set of IEMs and a DAP.
Hmm, that does give me a lot to think about. See, my needs are more as a desktop setup than a mobile setup, but I want one pair of headphones that does both. So if you're saying the Bathys does sound better, and on top of that it has the DAC mode, I'm (still) leaning towards the Bathys.

About the diaphragm pop, I'm a little skeptical as this is the first time I hear about it, and I've watched quite a few review videos, none talking about it. Maybe it would depend on the fit? Otherwise could be a manufacturing defect covered by warranty? Anyway, since mobile usage will be limited in my case, I don't think that would be too much of an issue.

Thanks for all the info, much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back