Focal Arche: Anyone compared to other options in its price range?
Mar 3, 2021 at 3:14 PM Post #151 of 362
I’m very happy with the Focal Arche. I downgraded from the Chord Dave/mscaler and don’t have any regrets. I’ll play back certain songs that I was blown away by on the Dave and I’m still blown away with the Arche. Feel like the soundstage is fairly close.

I do think the Arche benefits from a good streamer. Plugging usb direct into my Intel Nuc with roon core sound flatter and less engaging than Stack Audio Link II with linear power supply. Even Dave/mscaler had similar benefits even though there are claims source doesn’t matter.

For me, upgrading the headphone cable on the Focal Utopia to a Danacable Reference Lazuli has bigger impact on sound than between Focal Arche and the Chord setup.

If you’re willing to spend the money for the Dave/mscaler you get the benefit of more precise timing that may make a bigger difference if into classical music. But for everything else, the Arche is a fun headphone amp/dac that captures the energy and excitement of the music.

I’d probably pass on their next release if it’s just combining a streamer into it since I love the one if have already and have even been testing Spotify to get ready for their lossless tier.

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #152 of 362
After getting the Arche I upgraded every part of my system. I would agree that a good source is very important, and that is where I ended up investing my money. After that I tried several cables to get a sound signature that I felt did justice to how the rest of the system sounded. I was very happy with WireWorld Cables, but after hearing Danacable Nirvana Lazuli FC, well my ears say thank you, my work rate has increased and I have found myself frequently lost in the music.

I need help...

Mar 3, 2021 at 4:20 PM Post #153 of 362
What is the going rate for the Arche at the moment, now that the promo is over. I (unfortunately) want to sell, but any buyer would take the promo price as reference minus something. Is there a chance to sell for 1500-1600 what I'd see as a fair price? Even for that I think the Arche is worth more. Thanks guys.

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #154 of 362
I'm looking at adding the Arche into my studio. Currently running the Motu M4 interface into my Focal Shape 50 monitors and using it's headphone amp. Just checking, I could run the RCA line-out from my Motu M4 -> Arche Analog Input and then connect my studio monitors to the Arche XLR outputs and then use it for monitoring my mixes on headphones also. This method is bypassing the Arche DAC correct?
Actually, as the Shape 50's don't have a volume level, how would this work with the Arche?

Last edited:
Mar 3, 2021 at 5:27 PM Post #155 of 362
I'm looking at adding the Arche into my studio. Currently running the Motu M4 interface into my Focal Shape 50 monitors and using it's headphone amp. Just checking, I could run the RCA line-out from my Motu M4 -> Arche Analog Input and then connect my studio monitors to the Arche XLR outputs and then use it for monitoring my mixes on headphones also. This method is bypassing the Arche DAC correct?
Actually, as the Shape 50's don't have a volume level, how would this work with the Arche?

If you feed the Arche with the analog inputs, it’s only going work as an amp. Not sure how the XLR outputs would work.

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:38 PM Post #156 of 362
If you feed the Arche with the analog inputs, it’s only going work as an amp. Not sure how the XLR outputs would work.
Hmm so I would be double amping. In looking at the manual, it says to set the Arche to 99 when using those outputs that's why I am a bit confused!

Mar 3, 2021 at 5:42 PM Post #157 of 362
I guess I was only saying that the dac is bypass hooking up thru the rca jacks. Don’t know how the rest of it works.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:52 PM Post #159 of 362
I'm so torn on this. I know there are some USB related issues etc but at the price it's now going for, I am tempted! Wonder if they'll have a replacement or just getting of it altogether.

Mar 4, 2021 at 5:54 PM Post #160 of 362
Just to clarify, I have an Arche arriving this weekend.
A little disappointed to find this out, however I got a good deal on it so unless im seeing Focal release a new DAC/amp very quickly I guess I have no alternative other than to stick with it..
But trying to understand these USB issues, I am going directly from USB C port in MacBook to Usb-B in back of Arche.
Are we saying this is causing issues currently and doesn't work, just trying to get the gist of what's happening here.

Mar 4, 2021 at 6:19 PM Post #161 of 362
Just to clarify, I have an Arche arriving this weekend.
A little disappointed to find this out, however I got a good deal on it so unless im seeing Focal release a new DAC/amp very quickly I guess I have no alternative other than to stick with it..
But trying to understand these USB issues, I am going directly from USB C port in MacBook to Usb-B in back of Arche.
Are we saying this is causing issues currently and doesn't work, just trying to get the gist of what's happening here.

Let us know if you have any issues. The Mac and Linux connections don’t need usb drivers, so that might help. Only time I’ve had a issue is if the Arche is still in standby when I start playing music. Then when I take it out of standby, it won’t play. Just need to unplug and plug back usb cord. But as long as I take it out of standby first, I’ve never had any issues. This is with a RPi type streamer. I may have missed any posts of people using a Mac and having issues.

If it doesn’t work out, I’m sure you could still return it.

Mar 5, 2021 at 1:08 AM Post #164 of 362

Users who are viewing this thread

Back