Focal Arche: Anyone compared to other options in its price range?
Jan 15, 2021 at 12:52 AM Post #121 of 362
I guess the answer is going to depend on the price!

I got the combo deal of the Arche with a pair of Stellias when they were on sale. For net $1000, the Arche is a nice all-in-one DAC/amp/stand. That would be the same price as my Mytek Liberty used as DAC/amp, and the Arche sounds far better (I think the Liberty's amp section isn't very good personally). That's also the same price range as my Schiit Bifrost Multibit / Valhalla 2 stack. The Arche is just a better pairing for the Stellias, and looks slick as a single unit with the integrated headphone stand too. So a win for the Arche at the $1000 price in my opinion. Note, I see at least one retailer still listing the combo sale.

At the open box price of $1500? I'd still take it over my Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ as a combo DAC/amp which is $2200 (again, I think the Mytek amp sections aren't very good personally).

But at the MSRP of $2,500? Not competitive. For that price I could combine my Mytek Liberty as DAC using the balanced TRS outputs to XLR into my Schiit Ragnarok as amp. I've done that comparison and the Arche was easily outclassed. Plenty of other options at that price point that would beat it.

I think the Arche is in a similar league as the Sennheiser HDV 820 as an all-in-one product for its paired headphones. Unfortunately, I didn't find the HDV820 to be competitive at its MSRP of $2400 either. But if you can get a good combo deal, I think it is definitely a good option.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:38 PM Post #122 of 362
Bad firmware news everyone, I've exchanged my Arche for a demo model which was not updated, which I can verify because it doesn't work with my Android phone, and alas, my connection issues persist. On both of my PCs as well. So something else down the chain was wrong.

Still enjoying the Arche tremendously though.

Jan 16, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #123 of 362
An update from my side: I use the Arche connected via USB to my RoPieee streamer pretty much all the time. It sounds fantastic with both the Utopias and the MMR Thummim.

I put the Arche into standby when not in use. The USB handshake issue is still there- it takes plugging and unplugging the USB once to get it to work fine again.

The issue doesn't exist if I don't put it in standby mode.

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:25 AM Post #126 of 362
Probably because they can't fix the problems with their latest one.:unamused:

I guess we wait until the Celestee and Radiance updates get pushed out before we see a proper firmware update?

Jan 30, 2021 at 9:42 AM Post #128 of 362
My only annoyance with Arche is the stupid handshake problem.

Jan 30, 2021 at 10:04 AM Post #130 of 362
Jan 30, 2021 at 11:08 AM Post #131 of 362
Thank you for suggesting the switch, it would solve the problem, but for an amp of this class, and by such a respected company, we should not need to add the degradation of a USB switch, I may have to start exploring other options as this is so annoying. It is such a good amp, why is it taking Focal so long to fix a simple software problem?

Jan 30, 2021 at 11:24 AM Post #132 of 362
I have USB extensions on my pc at the front so i don't have to fiddle around the back to plug and unplug and this still doesn't work for me. Even plugging and unplugging to my DAP in front of me doesn't work. I have switch the Arche off, or put it into standby and then on again to make it work (connect). But i agree with you Gadget67 it should work straight away how it's supposed to. It's just not funny anymore.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2021 at 11:48 AM Post #133 of 362
Thank you for suggesting the switch, it would solve the problem, but for an amp of this class, and by such a respected company, we should not need to add the degradation of a USB switch, I may have to start exploring other options as this is so annoying. It is such a good amp, why is it taking Focal so long to fix a simple software problem?
I have USB extensions on my pc at the front so i don't have to fiddle around the back to plug and unplug and this still doesn't work for me. Even plugging and unplugging to my DAP in front of me doesn't work. I have switch the Arche off, or put it into standby and then on again to make it work (connect). But i agree with you Gadget67 it should work straight away how it's supposed to. It's just not funny anymore.
Well, unfortunately, I’m guessing it’s not just a simple software problem and that developing a device that works seamlessly across multiple platforms is not easy. Focal is not the only company that sells products that are not completely ready for prime time either to be fair. In my own case, the Arche works acceptably with my Sony WM1Z connected to the Sony dock/charging stand as long as I follow the “correct” sequence when powering up to use it. In retrospect I would not have purchased the Arche knowing what I know now, but it is a great amp/DAC combination once connected to my source. At this point much of my headphone time is spent with my Chord TT2/M-Scaler combination because it will interact smoothly with both my WM1Z and my MacBook running Audirvana (yep...Arche wants nothing to do with Audirvana). Again, to be fair, my Chord gear is far more expensive than the Arche and the Arche is a very close second in terms of sound especially with the Focal Utopia or Stellia. Like both of you, I hope a software update mitigates or fully fixes the problems...are you listening, Focal?

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:29 PM Post #134 of 362
Thanks @Gadget67, you make a good point.

I may have to look at the "Chord TT2/M-Scaler combination" but I was hoping the Arche would serve me well for a couple of years at least.

Jan 30, 2021 at 1:44 PM Post #135 of 362
I have not had any handshake issues with my Arche which came with 01.01.08. I suspect this is because I had handshake issues with my Schiit Audio stacks so inserted external USB hubs in the signal chain already which fixed the issue for me with those devices, so I have continued the practice with the Arche.

With Windows I use a powered Sabrent USB 3.0 hub. Plus a Schiit Wyrd "USB Decrapifier." The powered hub fixed the handshake issues and did not degrade the sound in any way. The Wyrd did nothing audible to help or hurt, but I kept it.

With MAC I use a CalDigit TS3 Plus as port replicator. I've used that with both USB and optical S/PDIF to the Arche. It is convenient to use the optical from MAC and USB from Windows to have input switching with the Arche. Both sound about the same to me.

I've also swapped between Amazon Basics USB cable, cheap Monoprice, nicer Monoprice Monolith, and Schiit Pyst. I like the look of the Pyst and Monolith cables so I'm using those, but honestly, they all sound the same and none fixed the handshake issues on their own.

This is a digital signal. For the most part it works or doesn't- and doesn't change the sound. And if you are having a handshake issue, it isn't working. So just try a powered USB hub without worrying about it degrading the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back