Focal Arche: Anyone compared to other options in its price range?
Aug 11, 2020 at 4:00 PM Post #16 of 362
Well, I’m sure others will have things to say about the heat issue, but I personally did not find it to be excessive. On the other hand, I don't like to leave my devices on when not in use so I can’t tell you what the long term effects might be. Obviously my headphones are on my head when using the Arche so I haven’t noticed any heat issues since I’m not slow roasting them by leaving the device on. I haven’t found heat to be an issue after 1-2 hour listening sessions. The device is warm but I wouldn’t characterize it as “hot”.

Asto the Arche itself, I also wish it had a remote but it wasn’t a deal killer for me. I also wish it simply remembered my last setting rather than returning to the default setting and the single dial as a multiple controller is tedious to be honest. I am currently using the Arche As a DAC in conjunction with my SPL Phonitor 2 (a phenomenal combination) but it is a very capable amp as a stand alone and plays well with my Utopia, Stellia and Clear. I purchased the Arche/Clear package and wish I’d waited a few weeks when Focal began offering the $1000 discount for which I would have qualified. I’m still deciding what to do with the Clear but I will probably just keep them.

i believe the Arche is worth having and the $1000 savings makes It a sweet deal. Here’s my current listening set up.
02964232-3F20-4F70-814B-05BFD07BC370.jpeg
I was wondering, does the Phonitor 2 dislike having a component on top of it or it works well?

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:03 PM Post #17 of 362
I was wondering, does the Phonitor 2 dislike having a component on top of it or it works well?
Works for me...
8BF271A3-AE66-487D-BBB0-F17A4A0C6C76.jpeg

Aug 11, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #18 of 362
Aug 12, 2020 at 6:08 AM Post #19 of 362
I'm awaiting delivery of my Utopias today so in the next few days i will be ordering the arche, so i will get a discount of £700 which was my plan from the start. (We never get a good deal here in the UK as anybody else, but hey if you really want something....). I looked at the reviews for the arche and most said they were good to excellent.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 10:24 AM Post #20 of 362
Today i received the arche and running it in quite nicely. I've had it on for about a couple of hours now and it's running quite hot, is this normal ? It's a warm day and in this room it's 26C (78.8F) but should this have much bearing on it ?

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2020 at 10:34 AM Post #21 of 362
Today i received the arche and running it in quite nicely. I've had it on for about a couple of hours now and it's running quite hot, is this normal ? It's a warm day and in this room it's 26C (78.8F) but should this have much bearing on it ?
This question came up earlier in this thread.
So there is a review of the Focal Arche on The Absolute Sound website in which the reviewer complains about the excessive heat from this 100% Class A amp/DAC, when left on standby, being not so healthy for headphones left on its built-in stand. The reviewer also says that the amp sounds better when it's been left on (and generating heat) overnight. I already have the Clear and was considering the Arche (with the discount) until I read this. What have you noticed concerning heat?

Absolute Sound review of Arche

Here is my earlier response.

Well, I’m sure others will have things to say about the heat issue, but I personally did not find it to be excessive. On the other hand, I don't like to leave my devices on when not in use so I can’t tell you what the long term effects might be. Obviously my headphones are on my head when using the Arche so I haven’t noticed any heat issues since I’m not slow roasting them by leaving the device on. I haven’t found heat to be an issue after 1-2 hour listening sessions. The device is warm but I wouldn’t characterize it as “hot”.

Asto the Arche itself, I also wish it had a remote but it wasn’t a deal killer for me. I also wish it simply remembered my last setting rather than returning to the default setting and the single dial as a multiple controller is tedious to be honest. I am currently using the Arche As a DAC in conjunction with my SPL Phonitor 2 (a phenomenal combination) but it is a very capable amp as a stand alone and plays well with my Utopia, Stellia and Clear. I purchased the Arche/Clear package and wish I’d waited a few weeks when Focal began offering the $1000 discount for which I would have qualified. I’m still deciding what to do with the Clear but I will probably just keep them.

i believe the Arche is worth having and the $1000 savings makes It a sweet deal. Here’s my current listening set up.
02964232-3F20-4F70-814B-05BFD07BC370.jpeg
Again, the heat mine generates does not seem excessive to me, but perhaps there is some variance in the individual units.

Aug 14, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #22 of 362
I don't own an Arche but probably will pick one up at some point as the $1K discount is too compelling to ignore. From what I understand, the Arche runs in Class A mode. As someone who has owned 2 Krell Class-A amps, heat is sometimes a good thing and has had zero impact on reliability. My Krell amps have lasted longer than most of my other electronics. In fact, every single piece of equipment I have owned from Sony (SACD player, TVs, laptops, headphones, cameras, etc.) hasn't lasted even half as long as my Krells. Maybe I'm unlucky, as people seem to really love Sony equipment.

Aug 15, 2020 at 6:21 AM Post #23 of 362
This amp arrived yesterday but i'm having difficulty connecting the Astell & Kern SP1000 with the USB. I got a the printer cable and coupled it with the power cable of the A&K sp1000 but nothing is happening. The amp says usb - no signal and the settings on the A&K sp1000 is not an option. I bought the coupler from amazon (3 pack) and i've put a meter on the pins and pin 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 etc do not ring out. Surely if one them was incorrect but not all three. I'm listening at the analog method at the moment and that works fine. As anyone got any idea what's going on ?

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #24 of 362
This amp arrived yesterday but i'm having difficulty connecting the SP1000 with the USB. I got a the printer cable and coupled it with the power cable of the sp1000 but nothing is happening. The amp says usb - no signal and the settings on the sp1000 is not an option. I bought the coupler from amazon (3 pack) and i've put a meter on the pins and pin 1 to 1 and 2 to 2 etc do not ring out. Surely if one them was incorrect but not all three. I'm listening at the analog method at the moment and that works fine. As anyone got any idea what's going on ?
It was necessary for me to use my powered usb Sony charger stand to run my Sony WM1Z through the Arche. See my picture in my earlier post; the Sony stand has a usb input for that purpose.

Aug 15, 2020 at 12:02 PM Post #25 of 362
I really like the Arche. It's quiet. Very quiet. Noise/interference is usually what bothers me the most in components. It's also very versatile, suitable with wide range of HPs with various impedance with its voltage, hybrid, and preset modes. On the flip side, the volume knob isn't the best. Sometimes I have issues when making incremental changes and have to rotate several times for it to register. The volume reset upon startup/after shutdown can be annoying. Overall, great amp with great sound.

Aug 17, 2020 at 11:51 AM Post #28 of 362
Can anyone direct me to a OTG cable that works for a Astell & Kern SP1000 DAP or any DAP that works with the Arche amp (USB input) ?
Well I was going to suggest that you contact Focal support at the Focal website, but after going there myself, finding an actual link to support for the Arche turned in to an exercise in frustration. There is a Focal rep (her name is Marine) who has helped members in the past, so I’d suggest sending her a pm. It’s @FocalOfficial; let us know how that works out if you do contact her.

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:07 AM Post #29 of 362
On the Astell & kern forum someone suggested the there was a new firmware update (July 2020) for the arche amp that would allow it work with android devices, but i'm having trouble updating it. Has anyone on here who owns the Arche have done the update and did they have any problems doing it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back