Foamies: Predicted half-life?
Feb 23, 2004 at 12:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Traveller

500+ Head-Fier
Hi2all!

I've been using my [relatively] new ER-4S daily for about a month now and I've noticed that the foamies no longer return to their original cylindrical shape, but restore in a connical shape (that is still large enough to ensure a tight seal). Secondly, the inner-edges are starting to peal/ crack a bit, leading me to the following question:

what is the predicted half-life of a set of foamies used in std operating conditions (-5 to +25C)?

Btw, a few personal *rules* I've picked up on in the past month during my aquaintence with the Etys (+ 2003 TAH):

1. Do not attempt to insert foamies when already outside on a -5C (or colder) day as the foamies take on a solid granite-like state at such low temps. At this point, insertion is an unpleasant experience.

2. Sneakers are preferred over Timberlands when using the Etys on a walk. If possible, walk on a thin layer of fresh snow (which dampens the vibration of your footsteps, as well as everything around you
tongue.gif
).

3. First look left, then right, then left again, then cross your fingers before crossing a busy intersection while wearing Etys powered by a TAH at high levels.

4. Last but not least, Etys* sound thin until you've been listening to them for a long period of time & then switch back to inferior 'phones (which sound bloated, scratchy and just plain bad.)
*Keeping in mind that I power my ER-4Ses with a 2003 TAH

Cheers
etysmile.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 1:20 PM Post #2 of 23
I asked a similar question regarding Shure's foamies. Somebody from Shure said that the average lifespan should be around the 20-50 compression/decompression cycles.

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:12 PM Post #3 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Traveller

2. Sneakers are preferred over Timberlands when using the Etys on a walk. If possible, walk on a thin layer of fresh snow (which dampens the vibration of your footsteps, as well as everything around you
tongue.gif
).

nice thick soft grass also improves bass extension and clarity...
etysmile.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:23 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by gorman
...the average lifespan should be around the 20-50 compression/decompression cycles.

Wow... that's not much! I guess I pop 'em i&o 3x/day.... I've worn my first pair for ~30 days so that makes for ~90 IOs...
tongue.gif

Talk about making the Indian ride the buffalo, lol
etysmile.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:31 PM Post #5 of 23
Well, there are two considerations here.

1) I was referring to Shure model. And the opinion was of Shure employee. I'm not sure how it could apply to Etys fomies.

2) Those figures are supposedly referring to the lifespan of an acceptable decompression rate. Now, the keyword here I guess should be "acceptable". There's people that would not accept anything but the optimum, and people that would gladly settle for less, to save some money. I have ordered triflanges just to check whether I could save some money in the long run, for instance. Foamies can be expensive if you want perfect decompression in your ears.

Then, there is the very important issue of hygiene. If you plan on using foamies for a long time without changing them, be sure to wash them once in a while!

Feb 23, 2004 at 6:45 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

...1) I was referring to Shure model. ... 2) Those figures are supposedly referring to the lifespan of an acceptable decompression rate. ... Then, there is the very important issue of hygiene.

1) Well, I'll assume that the build-quality of Shure & Ety foamies are more or less the same. It's not like they will be used as a key component in a nuclear reactor in Iran...
tongue.gif

2)Do you realize how geek-like the word decompression is when applied to foamies? ...
eek.gif

And finally, my foamies are still green & my Ety filters are still grey. Or was that supposed to be the other way around... oh, ****....
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 23
I never got over a month's use out of my ety foamies. I usually got around 2 to 3 weeks at the most. I finally decided to give the rubber tips another try to avoid going through so many foamies.

Feb 23, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #8 of 23
depends on whether you wash, and if so, how often
evil_smiley.gif

the foamies act to clean the wax out, and it is this build up which causes them to fail. i've gone back and forth on whether it's worth the extra comfort and seal over the silicones.

my worst fear is that the more frequent tip changing necessitated by the foamies will lead to tube snap (there have been threads about this, although not in the last few months). OTOH, keeping the silicones clean with dish washing detergent (soap is useless), require just about as frequent changing. scraping off the wax and letting the silicones gather that nice bilious look is probably the safest course.

Feb 23, 2004 at 9:01 PM Post #9 of 23
The problem with the foamies and the tips were that a certain quantity where made where the insert tube was too small making it hard to get on and off the ety stem which lead to breaking problems. I had this problem with the one's that came with the headphones but the one's I ordered later were much easier to put on or off. I never broke the stem but I did ruin a set of foamies because the foam broke free from the tube.

Feb 23, 2004 at 9:45 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

I asked a similar question regarding Shure's foamies. Somebody from Shure said that the average lifespan should be around the 20-50 compression/decompression cycles.

confused.gif
Right...so 20-50 squishings? Oh great...more money to be spent... Just when I was starting to like the foamies. How do I know (aside from the "you'll know" comment) when the foamies aren't good anymore. Will they lose their crunchability and stop expanding or something?

Feb 23, 2004 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 23
They don't expand as much. You just compare it to a new one to see the difference. You'll also lose some of the isolation and bass. If you try replacing it with a new one and you cannot hear the difference, then you still have some life left on the old foamies. If you have small ear canals they should last longer too due to less expansion needed.

Feb 23, 2004 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Oddball
Will they lose their crunchability and stop expanding or something?

you ever have those marshmallow chicks around Easter (tomorrow is Fat Tuesday, after all)? notice how they get that hard shell after they've been open for awhile?? same kind of thing: that waxy build up from your ears will coat the foam. eventually, either it becomes too gross to touch, or it hardens into that cone shape. whichever comes first. for me, it only takes about a week's worth of use; which is a few hours each evening, with a couple of interruptions, so figure 24 insertions before they're too bad to use anymore. YMMV

Feb 24, 2004 at 9:17 AM Post #13 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Traveller
2)Do you realize how geek-like the word decompression is when applied to foamies? ...
eek.gif

Sorry, I'm Italian. If that's not the right word... tell me which one to use. I'd appreciate it.
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:11 AM Post #14 of 23
This was posted in an earlier thread but topic keeps coming up so it appears that not many people read it.

You can make your own foamies in about 5 minutes and they cost only pennies.

- Buy some foamies from a hardware store. Soft foam is much more comfortable and last longer but regular foam also works.

- Heat a pin over a hot flame and poke a hole down the middle of the foam.

- Rip the foam off the stem of an orignal foam sleve and place the newly created one over the stem. The new one should stay in place by the elasticity of the foam but you can use glue if you like.

I have tried this on Shure foamies and the sound is identical. I see no reason why it would not work on Ety foamies also. Using soft foam actually makes it more comforable than the original foam.

Feb 24, 2004 at 10:39 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by robert
you ever have those marshmallow chicks around Easter (tomorrow is Fat Tuesday, after all)? notice how they get that hard shell after they've been open for awhile?? same kind of thing: that waxy build up from your ears will coat the foam. eventually, either it becomes too gross to touch, or it hardens into that cone shape. whichever comes first. for me, it only takes about a week's worth of use; which is a few hours each evening, with a couple of interruptions, so figure 24 insertions before they're too bad to use anymore. YMMV

Thanks for this uplifting thought!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back