Foamies on Custom UE-5c??
Jul 26, 2005 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

ripfrankwhite

100+ Head-Fier
After talking to someone at UE and explaining that I can't get a proper fit they suggested remaking the UE-5c with thin stems that will accept foamies. Should I accept that offer and have to put foam tips on my custom molded phone?

Jul 26, 2005 at 5:40 PM Post #2 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ripfrankwhite
After talking to someone at UE and explaining that I can't get a proper fit they suggested remaking the UE-5c with thin stems that will accept foamies. Should I accept that offer and have to put foam tips on my custom molded phone?

Do you mean UE is willing to make you a version of the UE5c that works on foamies, therefore making it universal fit?

An universal fit UE5c sounds cool, but I am willing to bet that if the stem is as thin as the stem on the shure, etymotic , and westone, you are going to sacrifice a lot of sound. From the comparisons I have read of the UM2 against the ES2, which is the custom molded version of the UM2, the ES2 kills the UM2. It is likely the opening of the sound which causes these changes. A thinner opening equals less soundstage (probably a reason the superfis have the best soundstage of the universal fit IEMs).

Who knows though, it may sound even better? I doubt it though.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:26 PM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Iriver
From the comparisons I have read of the UM2 against the ES2, which is the custom molded version of the UM2, the ES2 kills the UM2. It is likely the opening of the sound which causes these changes. A thinner opening equals less soundstage (probably a reason the superfis have the best soundstage of the universal fit IEMs).

From my understanding a big difference between the UM2 and the ES2 is the UM2's are single bore while the ES2's are dual bore.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:28 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
From my understanding a big difference between the UM2 and the ES2 is the UM2's are single bore while the ES2's are dual bore.

yepp,that´s right. Westone confirmed that to me.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:35 PM Post #7 of 17
I would say it will work but I would expect it probably won't sound quite as good as the custom fit plus you end up having to buy foamies on a regular basis which for me at least would be a big reason to go custom in the first place.

Jul 26, 2005 at 6:46 PM Post #8 of 17
the difference between um2 and es2 is a bit like e5c and sensa I guess ?
Both use the same driver but sensa/es2 are dual bored and custom.
Sensa have probalby done more things to get the differnece in the sound.

Jul 26, 2005 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 17
Try it, you'll be the first to own foam w/ UE5c. Let us know if the sound quality is the same. If so, more people will be doing this so they can sell it for future upgrade =)

Jul 26, 2005 at 9:30 PM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by tayano
the difference between um2 and es2 is a bit like e5c and sensa I guess ?
Both use the same driver but sensa/es2 are dual bored and custom.
Sensa have probalby done more things to get the differnece in the sound.

Why are you selling the UM2's if you don't mind me asking. I love mine but thinking of Sensa's or ES2's!

Jul 26, 2005 at 9:51 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptainChet
Why are you selling the UM2's

well,because I find them to be too bassy without EQ and triflanges. I do like them but I think that e4 will suit me better.

Jul 26, 2005 at 9:54 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by rx7_fan
Try it, you'll be the first to own foam w/ UE5c.

Well technically the second
etysmile.gif
; as you probably recall from our visit, UE has that exact arrangement on a few each of the UE-5's and UE-10's for audition purposes. Hopefully what they would mold for you is superior in fit at least, as the demo's they had were a b!tch to keep in the ears.

Jul 27, 2005 at 12:57 PM Post #13 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Well technically the second
etysmile.gif
; as you probably recall from our visit, UE has that exact arrangement on a few each of the UE-5's and UE-10's for audition purposes. Hopefully what they would mold for you is superior in fit at least, as the demo's they had were a b!tch to keep in the ears.

Any idea on how much the sound was affected?

Jul 27, 2005 at 3:57 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero
Any idea on how much the sound was affected?

Hard to say, but I can tell you that the seal was definitely compromised, so I was NOT getting the bass response they were capable of. Still sounded very impressive, but it's difficult to make a solid decision when you're having to hold the earpieces in with your fingers, and you keep shifting the seal
eek.gif
I finally concluded that they could only sound better once I got a custom molded set in my ears.

Jul 27, 2005 at 4:00 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by BRBJackson
Hard to say, but I can tell you that the seal was definitely compromised, so I was NOT getting the bass response they were capable of. Still sounded very impressive, but it's difficult to make a solid decision when you're having to hold the earpieces in with your fingers, and you keep shifting the seal
eek.gif
I finally concluded that they could only sound better once I got a custom molded set in my ears.

That doesn't bode well for ripfrankwhite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back